• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lending of Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

comp1demon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana / Florida

I own an spare car. It is titled and owned by me.
it is properly registered, licensed and insured.

My dad needed another car. He came to visit me and I told him to take my spare car home with him. I am in Indiana.
He lives in Florida.

He has insurance and I have insurance so insurance is not an issue. The Tags are up to date and there is nothing wrong with the car.

My dad has a Florida license and with my mom they own ONE car - he borrowed my car because his second car died.

Florida law says you have 30 days after you move there to get a Florida license.

The car does not belong to him, it belongs to me. It is being LENT until he comes back to visit me 6-8 months later, which also gives him 6-8 months to get the money together for another car.

He was told that he must REGISTER THE CAR in florida too? I told him he cannot register the car there as the car does not belong to him, I live in indiana and the car belongs to me.
The law says that the DRIVER must change his licensing and the registration of "THE CARS THE DRIVER OWNS AND HAD REGISTERED OUT OF STATE".
Since he does not own the car, they cannot force him to register it there correct? Same as driving a rental car from enterprise or avis that has out of state plates on it? Correct?
He should have no trouble driving the car with the Indiana tags as long as he can produce a valid registration, license and insurance correct?
He has my Registration, and my insurance card as well as his own card.
I would assume it is perfectly legal to lend a licensed driver your vehicle for a indeterminate amount of time as long as the original owner follows all the Laws for state he has the vehicle titled and registered in?
the fact that the car is being driven by someone else does not make that car theirs and subject to the registration laws of the state they live in?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Seems clear to me dad must get it plated there.

320.02 Registration required; application for registration; forms.—
(1) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every owner or person in charge of a motor vehicle that is operated or driven on the roads of this state shall register the vehicle in this state. The owner or person in charge shall apply to the department or to its authorized agent for registration of each such vehicle on a form prescribed by the department. A registration is not required for any motor vehicle that is not operated on the roads of this state during the registration period.

comp1demon

Seems clear to me dad must get it plated there.
Thanks you, but need to clarify now...

He is not the Owner or the person in charge - it is MY car and I can request it back at any time. I am the both the OWNER and the PERSON in charge. Letting someone else drive your vehicle does not give them either title. If it does please show me the subsection of ANY states law that says so.

Also the registration period is over.. The law says he has 30 days once he moved there. He has lived there for 5 years. The PERIOD is over. If he owned the car and bought it out of state - he would have another 30 days under the law for the registration of it, but neither should apply here.

Person in charge pertains to Large corporations who own fleets of cars within the state but are centrally controlled by another state. Example would be if a company with a corporate headquarter in TX has a fleet and satellite office in FL - then the guy who is in charge of that fleet must follow Florida law and have them titled in the state since they are operated in that state only, by the corporation who owns them from another state, that corporation at any time can call those cars out of the state and register them elsewhere, but cannot put them back into service in a different state without complying to that states registration laws..

Using my car for 1 day or 1 year does not make him the person in charge - he/this is not a corporation. This is me lending my personal vehicle to him. Car belongs to me. I am a Indiana resident not a FL resident.

I did read that part of the law on the FL website (that you quoted as well as the rest of the subsections).. I don't see how they can force the owner of a car in another state to register it there when it is coming back to me?

When he rented a car for two months before he visited me and borrowed my car, the car was from Avis and had Arizona plates on it and when a cop asked him why his plates were AZ and he had a FL license he showed him the rental agreement and said. "Oh not your car, its a rental, no need." and let him go.

So I am confused now?

If rental car places don't have to re-title a vehicle because they come and go in and out of state on no set schedule, why is my lending my car to anyone make my car subject to the laws of any other state in terms of title and or registration?

ecmst12

You need to register and insure the car in the state where it will be primarily kept. When it is returned to your state, you can re-register it there. Make sure your dad is listed as a driver on your insurance policy.

OHRoadwarrior

Sooo your claim is the car does move unless dad calls you and obtains permission and a designated route for every place he is going? Explain it to the state of Florida. I already think it is a riot.

You need to register and insure the car in the state where it will be primarily kept. When it is returned to your state, you can re-register it there. Make sure your dad is listed as a driver on your insurance policy.
All about the money. Florida must really be hurting. Suppose I get a rental from NY and drive to Florida to stay 6 months. Is Florida going to make me re-register a rental? I think not.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana / Florida

I own an spare car. It is titled and owned by me.
it is properly registered, licensed and insured.

My dad needed another car. He came to visit me and I told him to take my spare car home with him. I am in Indiana.
He lives in Florida.

He has insurance and I have insurance so insurance is not an issue. The Tags are up to date and there is nothing wrong with the car.

My dad has a Florida license and with my mom they own ONE car - he borrowed my car because his second car died.

Florida law says you have 30 days after you move there to get a Florida license.

The car does not belong to him, it belongs to me. It is being LENT until he comes back to visit me 6-8 months later, which also gives him 6-8 months to get the money together for another car.

He was told that he must REGISTER THE CAR in florida too? I told him he cannot register the car there as the car does not belong to him, I live in indiana and the car belongs to me.
The law says that the DRIVER must change his licensing and the registration of "THE CARS THE DRIVER OWNS AND HAD REGISTERED OUT OF STATE".
Since he does not own the car, they cannot force him to register it there correct? Same as driving a rental car from enterprise or avis that has out of state plates on it? Correct?
He should have no trouble driving the car with the Indiana tags as long as he can produce a valid registration, license and insurance correct?
He has my Registration, and my insurance card as well as his own card.
I would assume it is perfectly legal to lend a licensed driver your vehicle for a indeterminate amount of time as long as the original owner follows all the Laws for state he has the vehicle titled and registered in?
the fact that the car is being driven by someone else does not make that car theirs and subject to the registration laws of the state they live in?
Your situation is not one that FL anticipated when it made its laws. They did not anticipate a situation where a private individual would lend their car for an extended amount of time to another private individual.

However, FL is certainly accustomed to a large number of people who only reside in FL during the winter months, and I sincerely doubt that all of them are made to register their cars in FL.

You should certainly NOT allow your father to register your car in FL, as that would make him the owner of the car. Call the FL DMV and talk to them about it...don't look it up on the internet or ask your questions on any other internet forums. CALL them and talk to them about it.

OHRoadwarrior

I suspect it has already been determined to be the case. He stated that dad was already advised he was in violation of the law.

Your situation is not one that FL anticipated when it made its laws. They did not anticipate a situation where a private individual would lend their car for an extended amount of time to another private individual.

However, FL is certainly accustomed to a large number of people who only reside in FL during the winter months, and I sincerely doubt that all of them are made to register their cars in FL.

You should certainly NOT allow your father to register your car in FL, as that would make him the owner of the car. Call the FL DMV and talk to them about it...don't look it up on the internet or ask your questions on any other internet forums. CALL them and talk to them about it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">