• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Letter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snowdays

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ
I got a speeding ticket last June (82 / 60 mph) i was not aware that on the state of Virginia - if you were caught for speeding over 20 MPH of the speed limit, you have to go to court. I called the clerk and explain why i cannot make my Aug. 14 court date. i was told to send a letter to the Judge and explain why. I live in NJ and for me to drive to VA - it will take me a good 7 hours. Can somebody tell me what to say to the judge? thank you!

ross2578

i am certainly no expert on the subject but you could always try asking if its possible to have your court hearing transfered to a court near you.

couldnt hurt i guess?

I_Got_Banned

i am certainly no expert on the subject but you could always try asking if its possible to have your court hearing transfered to a court near you.

couldnt hurt i guess?
Usually, it is near impossible to get a traffic case transferred from one city/county to another let alone to get it transferred between two different states... So while it can't hurt, it won't help either.

Can somebody tell me what to say to the judge?
Just explain that you live and work in NJ and it would be extremely difficult for you to make a court appearance in Virgina. The outcome might depend on whether you are fighting the ticket or whether you just want to plead guilty and pay the fine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">