• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Liability for picking someone up after they crashed their car intoxicated?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ngibson12

New Mexico jurisdiction

New Mexico jurisdiction
Hello and thank you for your time and consideration to my matter. My question is regarding an incident that occurred last night. My friend was following me back to my house when she hit a parked car (she was drunk). I pulled over to help her move the car from the road, but her axle was broken. I was not trying to help her get away with the accident only move the car to the side of the road to unblock traffic. She was very scared and asked me to drive her home so she could call a tow truck and talk to her parents (both our phones were dead). I drove her home and left. Today I found out that she was arrested for aggravated DWI and hit and run. My question is do I have any liability in the matter because I drove her home after (aiding in hit and run)? I was not trying to help her get away, just help her get home so she could contact her parents, a tow company, and deal with the situation.

So far I have not been contacted by the police, but I am just wanting some advice just in case something happens.

Thank you

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
New Mexico jurisdiction

New Mexico jurisdiction
Hello and thank you for your time and consideration to my matter. My question is regarding an incident that occurred last night. My friend was following me back to my house when she hit a parked car (she was drunk). I pulled over to help her move the car from the road, but her axle was broken. I was not trying to help her get away with the accident only move the car to the side of the road to unblock traffic. She was very scared and asked me to drive her home so she could call a tow truck and talk to her parents (both our phones were dead). I drove her home and left. Today I found out that she was arrested for aggravated DWI and hit and run. My question is do I have any liability in the matter because I drove her home after (aiding in hit and run)? I was not trying to help her get away, just help her get home so she could contact her parents, a tow company, and deal with the situation.

So far I have not been contacted by the police, but I am just wanting some advice just in case something happens.

Thank you
You could be complicit in her hit and run. Do not speak to anyone at about the incident but a lawyer. You helped her break the law.

Silverplum

Ol' ngibson got huffy and deleted his/her (other) thread after receiving many responses, including at least two posts directing him/her to NM law.

:rolleyes:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Ol' ngibson got huffy and deleted his/her (other) thread after receiving many responses, including at least two posts directing him/her to NM law.

:rolleyes:
I think she was here simply to test out stories in case the police catch up with her.

For the record, my youngest was better with word games by the time he was 7.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">