• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Hearing in Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NoSnow

October, 2000, I got tickets for fail to carry registration card in vehicle (vehicle had been broken into and practically everything stolen several months before and I had police report, but didn't make a difference to cop), exceeding speed limit by 30, failure to display registration card upon demand (see above), taking part in speed contest (not, what was left of the car no way could speed that's for sure), failure to attach plates to front and rear of vehicle (only front because it had been stolen along with the tires, etc., AND reported to DMV), failure to apply for duplicate license (because the one I had was "mutulated" by the washing machine). I paid this ticket because I couldn't take the time off work to go to court or I would have lost my job -- received 5 points.

Have copy of driving record. For some reason they list 21 failures to appear -- never failed to appear, but did request postponements of first tickets because I had no money to pay fines which was denied, which I didn't know so I missed court date. When I found out couple of months later, I immediately went to courthouse, requested new court date after I paid all outstanding fines (borrowed 800 from parents to do it) and that was denied, so I got the 5 points.

January, 2001, got speeding ticket - went to court -- got 2 points.

Last week of April, 2002 go to DMV to replace license because I moved.

First week of May, 2002, get letter in mail saying my license will be suspended within 15 days if I don't go to a hearing because of excessive points. Went to DMV to get my record. Lady at DMV says that the 5 points above due to come off October, 2002, which leaves me with 2 points. Do I have any argument to keep my license when I will only have 2 points after October? Isn't this somehow untimely?

racer72

Untimely? What is a good time to take someone off the road that obviously has no respect for the laws of your state? What that means is you should buy yourself a bus pass that is good till October.

Another point. Don't cry saying it isn't your fault for the mess. I can hear you saying "someone stole my license plate and registration, what was I suppose to do?" The most obvious answer would be 'don't drive the car till it is legal'. You chose to drive the car when it was not legal, you now will pay by losing your privelige to drive. Sucks, don't it.

NoSnow

Well racer, I've read some of your other posts and you sound as if you know what you're talking about, but I also notice you're based in Washington State. Here in Maryland, money counts. I know a lot of people in my "group" who have a heck of a lot more points than I do and they are still driving. If I don't drive, I can't get to work (our mass transit system doesn't go everywhere), if I can't get to work, I make no money, If I don't make money, I can't pay this great state of ours its money. Since Baltimore City has become the murder capital of the country, we are growing more cops than anyother state, and they have to do something to justify their paychecks and drum up money, because they can't seem to stop the murders. Heck, we've got enough cops they could put one on each street corner!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">