• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Holds

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jadegurl

What is the name of your state? NV

I have an outstanding ticket in California from 1999!! It was for expired plates, and no proof of insurance. Now the car I was driving was my boyfriend's dad's car, and it was insured, just did'nt have it in the car, lovely. He does still have the proof to this day that in fact the car was insured. When I found out I had a hold on my license, it was a year ago. Luckily I was never pulled over before I found out. But now the collection agency that is taking care of the fine says that the only way I can get my license back is if I pay $1700, cause there was a failure to appear fine as well. I am trying to get my daughter back with me, and I don't want to have to take her everywhere on a bus, does anyone have any ideas what I could possibly do? I need a car soon, and I cannot afford to pay the entire $1700 off all at once. Any advice?

JETX

Lets see if we have this right:
1) You got two tickets in CA in 1998 (expired tags and no insurance).
2) You failed to appear at court.
3) You now have fines totalling something like $1700.

So, if I have the above correct:
"I am trying to get my daughter back with me, and I don't want to have to take her everywhere on a bus,"
*** They have some real nice tandem bikes, or you can take a cab and learn a foreign language at the same time.

"does anyone have any ideas what I could possibly do?"
*** Yep. Learn to accept responsibility for your actions (something you very probably want your daughter to learn, right?) and pay your fines. You offer absolutely NO defense to the tickets.

"I need a car soon, and I cannot afford to pay the entire $1700 off all at once.
*** Take that money that you have been saving for the car and pay the fines. After all, without paying them, you have no real reason for a car.

"Any advice?"
*** See above.

L

lisa69kin

Be a role model your daughter can look up to and lead by example.

I know someone in the same situation. Or was anyway. You have to really put the pressure on the collection agency to get you a court date and ask for a decrease in the fine amount. They may say that the judge may not hear your case unless you agree to pay a certain amount. That is only because they want there issue which is why it is so high. It worked for my friend.

Im not sure how true this is but you might want to check it out. It also comes from word of mouth " The DMV supposedly only places the hold on your license for five years." IF you got your ticket in 1998 then your time may have expired.

But to be honest if you are trying to get your daughter back you should handle your business and take care of it. Give the collection agency a call and try to get that court date. At least it will show a step in the right direction. And maybe the judge will cut you some slack or let you make payment arrangements.

Lead by example and make a good role model for your daughter to look up to and do the right thing. TCB Good luck to you. Let me know what happened.

K

Kaz the Minotau

So why didn't you take care of your fines in the first place?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">