• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License Plate Law - Tx

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

This has to due with Texas law. I live and go to school in Texas, fortunately due to a recent job acquisition I was given an 07 Lexus IS250, the car looks really good, and I don't want to put a front license plate on. The business is located in Kentucky, where the car was bought, and since the car I have is a company vehicle that's based out of Kentucky I have the perfect right to keep the plates I have, correct? Also I've gotten quite screwed due to a pull over that shouldn't have happened, due to not having a front license plate, and I don't want the same misfortune to happen again. If I have Kentucky plates do I still need to have a front license plate for my vehicle, also will the law of not having any license plate frame on my vehicle be applied to me? Thanks for the help.

FlyingRon

I guess you have two questions:

Where must/can the car be registered?
Do you need a front plate.

If the car is titled to you, you must register it in Texas.
If the car is titled to the Kentucky company, it probably can stay registered in Kentucky. I'm not sure that a company car triggers all the commercial vehicle stuff.

Texas requires both front and back plates for vehicles registered there.
Kentucky only requires a rear plate.

There's no rule about plate frames.

If the car is registered to the company, you should have some document showing you are authorized to drive it in case you do get pulled over.

Thank you very much for the help FlyingRon, that's exactly what I was wondering. Also what sort of documentation do I need showing I'm allowed to be driving the car? I have the insurance and everything I need in the car but not of it says my name specifically on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">