• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License revoked, case reopened, can I drive?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jjcechva

Wisconsin
In October I was speeding, 89 in a 65 (24 over). Because it was my only traffic violation ever and other circumstances, I didn't go to court but to my suprise, my license was suspended for 6 months. Recently, I got a lawyer to re open the case for me and I have a new court date in February. My question is this: Now that the case is re opened, does that mean that I can drive until I have to appear in court again?

Also, typically for this kind of situation would I even have to go to court or is it something the lawyer typically handles himself? I got the speeding ticket over an hour and a half away from where I live so going to court is quite an inconvience.

CdwJava

If you have proof that your license is valid, go right ahead and drive. If there is no such proof of a valid license, don't do it.

- Carl

racer72

Also, typically for this kind of situation would I even have to go to court or is it something the lawyer typically handles himself?
Unless your attorney has a way to channel your thoughts and have a judge believe it was you, not the attorney, answering the questions, yes, you will have to attend.

Greg 2

<snip> I got the speeding ticket over an hour and a half away from where I live so going to court is quite an inconvience.[/QUOTE]

In the future contact the court and request venue be changed closer to where you live or work. I highly suspect it is too late for this ticket.

Greg

The Occultist

For traffic cites, change of venues must typically be requested of the officer writing the citation during the stop.

Just out of curiosity OP, why is it, exactly, that you thought having no priors would excuse you from going to court?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">