• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspended due to FTP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CaliMommy86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was in a city I was unfamiliar with and accidently ran a red light while attempting to look at the signs for the highway on ramp :( At the time I was unemployed and looking for work therefore I had no means to pay the fine. With the added civil assessment of $300 I owe over $750. My license has since been suspended due to failure to pay (FTP)

I am currently trying to find work and I could attempt to take public transportation. However, I have a 1 year old daughter whom I'd need to take to and from daycare which would be quite difficult to do on public transport.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way to get a work only restricted license so that I may drive only to and from work? I know they give this type of license for people who have DUI's so I was hoping that I could somehow get one. Thanks.

I do not see anywhere in CA statutes that allows for your situation to get a hardship permit. The point is that the suspension is supposed to be hard so you do all you can to pay what you owe quickly.

CdwJava

It does not appear that a restricted license will be possible.

Per CVC 13365 the law states that a suspension for a failure to appear or pay a fine per CVC 40905 and 40905.5 "shall continue until the suspended person's driving record does not contain any notification of a violation of subdivision (a) or (b) of Section 40508."

I can find no authorization in the CVC for a restricted license as a result of a failure to appear.

CaliMommy86

No.

You might be eligible for bus passes, but public assistance does not override the Vehicle Code or the direction of the court.
I only asked because zigners comment lead me to believe it was relevant. I started searching.on Google and found thar California does have a hardship license you can apply for so I think it may be possible. I'm going to call a
nd/or go to the DMV tomorrow.

CdwJava

I only asked because zigners comment lead me to believe it was relevant. I started searching.on Google and found thar California does have a hardship license you can apply for so I think it may be possible. I'm going to call a
nd/or go to the DMV tomorrow.
Yes, there are hardship licenses available for certain suspensions. A license suspended for failing to appear in court or pay a fine is not among those exceptions listed in the Vehicle Code. But, you can contact the DMV and ask them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">