• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License was suspended for not completing 12hr ADI course over 2 yrs ago, court case

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jereratli9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I was pulled over on 7/09/09 for OPERATING A MOTOR VEHICLE WITH NO VALID DRIVERS LICENSE- CANC INDEF FOR FAILURE TO COMPLETE A COURT ORDERED SCHOOL. My license suspension took effect on 7/06/09. To be more specific about my case this is why my license was suspended according to the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles website:

"Cancellation - Failed to Complete Advanced Driver Improvement Course
Your driving privilege has been canceled for not completing an advanced driver improvement course. We have been notified that an advanced driver improvement course you showed enrollment in has not been completed within 90 days. Please provide a certificate of completion from a state-approved 12-hour basic driver improvement course so we can update your record and clear this cancellation.
Course providers will electronically notify our department of your school completion. Please allow 3 to 5 business days from completion of the course for this notification process to occur. After that time, you may verify your school completion has been updated by entering your driver license number in the traffic school completion check. Once the school completion is updated, please contact us via email or call our Customer Service Center at (850) 617-2000 so we may clear this cancellation."

I've re-enrolled (and re-paid) and finished the ADI course. I'm waiting for the cancellation to clear so I can get my license back. Once, I have my license back my only worry is my court appearance. It is in Seminole county on 8/5/09. I fear I will not be able to afford an attorney at the time. I will more than likely be representing myself.

I looked up possible penalties for this particular criminal violation and it seems the worse would be 60 days in county jail. Obviously, I'm looking to avoid this. A few things about this case you should know. I have no criminal record. I was ordered to take this course and provided proof of enrollment over 2.5 years ago, anyone know why my license would just now become suspended? I haven't received any tickets in about 3 years and this randomly came and bit me in the tail.

Also, I recently (about a month ago) signed a new lease at a new address. I have yet to update my address with the DMV and fear that is why I did not receive the notification of my license being suspended. So my question is, representing myself, with all of the knowledge I just provided, what would my best course of action be? Thanks for reading, and your time.

I_Got_Banned

I was ordered to take this course and provided proof of enrollment over 2.5 years ago, anyone know why my license would just now become suspended?
Proof of enrolment means nothing. They obviously need a certificate of completion as is stated in the letter that you quoted:

Please provide a certificate of completion from a state-approved 12-hour basic driver improvement course so we can update your record and clear this cancellation.
If you or the school where you attended never provided them with proof of completion, and if you never verified that the suspension was cleared, then you obviously should not have been driving.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">