• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspended by PA after I moved to OH and surrendered PA license.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobinga

What is the name of your state? PA

this is kind of complicated. I lived in Pennsylvania from 1990-1999. I moved to Ohio in June, 1999. During the move, on June 7, I recieved a speeding ticket in PA, which I paid. I then turned my pa license over to Ohio and got an Ohio license on June 9, 1999. In January I got a contract in Pittsburgh for about a year (it lasted just 16 months). A couple days before coming to Georgia, I was hit by a woman running a stop sign.

while doing the accident report, the officer ran my license against the PA database, and said I had a PA license that was suspended. Huh? He then confiscated my Ohio License. Now, Pennsylvania Dept of Trans. (Penndot) says I never paid the June 7 ticket and didn't show at a hearing in August, 1999. I did pay the ticket, but have no receipt; so I paid it again. I never received word of a hearing and, anyway, my PA license had been surrendered.
Penndot says they suspended my license for 120 days (points) as a result of the ticket, and another 60 days for not showing for the hearing.

They also say I must serve the 6 month suspension before I can get my license back. Is this legal?

Here's what I'm afraid of: they force me to serve the 6 month suspension. Then, to get my license back, I have to ask PA to reinstate it. Of course, they'll say I'm living in Georgia and don't deserve a PA license, so refuse to reinstate. Meanwhile, I will have lost my Ohio license, which PA siezed and which was in good standing, but Georgia will refuse me a license based on the PA license in suspension because I can't get it reinstated.

Is there a way out of this nightmare?

S

seniorjudge

bobinga said:
What is the name of your state? PA

this is kind of complicated. I lived in Pennsylvania from 1990-1999. I moved to Ohio in June, 1999. During the move, on June 7, I recieved a speeding ticket in PA, which I paid. I then turned my pa license over to Ohio and got an Ohio license on June 9, 1999. In January I got a contract in Pittsburgh for about a year (it lasted just 16 months). A couple days before coming to Georgia, I was hit by a woman running a stop sign.

while doing the accident report, the officer ran my license against the PA database, and said I had a PA license that was suspended. Huh? He then confiscated my Ohio License. Now, Pennsylvania Dept of Trans. (Penndot) says I never paid the June 7 ticket and didn't show at a hearing in August, 1999. I did pay the ticket, but have no receipt; so I paid it again. I never received word of a hearing and, anyway, my PA license had been surrendered.
Penndot says they suspended my license for 120 days (points) as a result of the ticket, and another 60 days for not showing for the hearing.

They also say I must serve the 6 month suspension before I can get my license back. Is this legal?

Here's what I'm afraid of: they force me to serve the 6 month suspension. Then, to get my license back, I have to ask PA to reinstate it. Of course, they'll say I'm living in Georgia and don't deserve a PA license, so refuse to reinstate. Meanwhile, I will have lost my Ohio license, which PA siezed and which was in good standing, but Georgia will refuse me a license based on the PA license in suspension because I can't get it reinstated.

Is there a way out of this nightmare?

Time to get an administrative law lawyer in Harrisburg.

bobinga

Can you recommend one?

Thanks for the advice. I think you're right. Can you, or somebody else, recommend someone?

S

seniorjudge

bobinga said:
Thanks for the advice. I think you're right. Can you, or somebody else, recommend someone?
The only lawyers I know up there are judges whom I could not recommend..... :D

bobinga

Another Question

today the judge dismissed the driving while suspended charge on the basis that the state did not take the steps to notify me. Since part of the suspension (60 days) is for not showing up at a hearing (which I didn't know about), can I use this as a basis to appeal those 60 days of suspension? And do I have to do this via the court or via Dept of Transportation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">