• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspension...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bashton

Hello, I currently live in Maine and was recently pulled over for Operating After Suspension. I didn't know that my license was suspended, in fact I went to court for the offense just a week before and nothing was mentioned about a license suspension, even after I inquired about it. The only answer that I received was, "This court has not suspended your license." The officer today told me that it was an administrative suspension. When I told him about my court visit and their failure to tell me of a suspension, he replied with, "It is not their responsibility to tell you those things." No alcohol was involved with this traffic stop, and I do not have any DUI's/OUI's. I have a poor driving record, but I have no accidents or major violations, only speeding and operating after suspension. This is my third offense for OAS and I am really worried about the consequences, I would not have been driving had I known! What can I expect? Fines? Longer suspension? How long? Should I acquire legal representation, could it help? I have no money because I am a full-time student, and I am set to begin working a great job in September that works perfectly around my school schedule and pays well, and I can't afford to lose it. Any advice you can offer would be great.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Meatstick

Operating while Suspended IS a major violation.

You should consult an attorney asap. Your lawyer will advise you the proper direction to take. I have seen the courts in the past reduce/dismiss those charges based on various factors. You have a bad driving record so your DMV has probably suspended your license for your multiple violations so I wouldn't expect any miracles. Is you current address the same as on your license ??

Good Luck;

Meatstick

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">