• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

License suspension for probation violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whitewater090

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello, the question I have is whether or not I am entitled to an appeal of license suspension. I am a fairly new driver, my license was issued on 09/14/10 and I just recently received a notice of license suspension. The letter stated that I was convicted of a speeding violation during probationary period on 4/15/11. According to the time of my conviction, that was seven months from when I took my road test. I live in New York state and the probation period for new drivers is six months after the road test. If I can use this or any other information to support my case that would be of huge help. The violation is listed as "510B of the vehicle and traffic law."

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hello, the question I have is whether or not I am entitled to an appeal of license suspension. I am a fairly new driver, my license was issued on 09/14/10 and I just recently received a notice of license suspension. The letter stated that I was convicted of a speeding violation during probationary period on 4/15/11. According to the time of my conviction, that was seven months from when I took my road test. I live in New York state and the probation period for new drivers is six months after the road test. If I can use this or any other information to support my case that would be of huge help. The violation is listed as "510B of the vehicle and traffic law."

Thanks.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You RECEIVED the cite during the probationary period. What matters is whether or not the offense was COMMITTED during the probationary period...not when you were convicted.

ETA:

§ 510-b. Suspension and revocation for violations committed during
probationary periods. 1. A license, other than a class DJ or class MJ
license or a limited class DJ or class MJ license, shall be suspended,
for a period of sixty days, (i) upon the first conviction of the
licensee of a violation, committed during the probationary period
provided for in subdivision four of section five hundred one of this
title, of any provision of section eleven hundred twenty-nine of this
chapter, section eleven hundred eighty of this chapter or any ordinance
or regulation limiting the speed of motor vehicles and motorcycles,
section eleven hundred eighty-two of this chapter, or subdivision one of
section eleven hundred ninety-two of this chapter or section twelve
hundred twelve of this chapter; or (ii) upon the second conviction of
the licensee of a violation, committed during the aforesaid probationary
period, of any other provision of this chapter or of any other law,
ordinance, order, rule or regulation relating to traffic.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">