• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

LIDAR - does the cop have to be stationary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcshiny

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was clocked at 87 MPH in 65 MPH zone. I didn't see the cop on the side of the road, in front of me, at all. The next thing I knew, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the CHP officer. I was pretty sure the cop was never in front of me and on the side of the road, so my conclusion is the cop had entered an on-ramp behind me and clocked me using LIDAR while in motion in his car. My question is, doesn't the cop have to be stationary, ie. on the side of the road outside of his vehicle, to use a LIDAR gun?

Depends on the unit ... do discovery to find out what model was used. Given that you have no idea where the cop was; your conclusion that he was moving may not be correct ... keep that in mind.

CdwJava

I am unaware of any lidar units that can operate while the vehicle is in motion. However, many vehicle-mounted radar units DO have an option for use while the vehicle is in motion. The CHP has typically used the Stalker Dual II which does have this capability.

You can seek this information via discovery.

Was any radar or lidar information mentioned on the front of the citation?

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was clocked at 87 MPH in 65 MPH zone. I didn't see the cop on the side of the road, in front of me, at all. The next thing I knew, I looked in my rear view mirror and saw the CHP officer. I was pretty sure the cop was never in front of me and on the side of the road, so my conclusion is the cop had entered an on-ramp behind me and clocked me using LIDAR while in motion in his car. My question is, doesn't the cop have to be stationary, ie. on the side of the road outside of his vehicle, to use a LIDAR gun?
Dude, you're back AGAIN :eek:

At any rate, just because you didn't see him does not mean he couldn't see you. He could have been on an overpass for all you know. In fact, I will say that in recent months, I have seen them go WAY out of their way to hide out.

Lastly, I highly doubt he used it while he was moving (he could EASILY switch on his front/rear facing Radar and get the same result) and no, he doesn't have to be outside of his vehicle to operate a Lidar gun (he can park perpendicular the traffic lanes and point it out of his side window).

mcshiny

Dude, you're back AGAIN :eek:

At any rate, just because you didn't see him does not mean he couldn't see you. He could have been on an overpass for all you know. In fact, I will say that in recent months, I have seen them go WAY out of their way to hide out.

Lastly, I highly doubt he used it while he was moving (he could EASILY switch on his front/rear facing Radar and get the same result) and no, he doesn't have to be outside of his vehicle to operate a Lidar gun (he can park perpendicular the traffic lanes and point it out of his side window).
Unfortunate, yes, back again. Since I assume you've seen my history of posts and not that you have a super good memory of my name on here (hehehe), out of all of the tickets I've posted on, I had them all dismissed. Yes, I know how extremely lucky I am and how extremely dumb I am at the same time. I was really shocked to have seen the cop tailing me when I saw him, and I know I didn't go under any overpasses so it was just shocking to me as to how quick he was on me. Shocked as well, because I had not been speeding for that long before he was on me, as I was in the #1 lane and was trying to pass them and then he was on me. So it was just bad luck on my part and nothing I could do about it. I figure if he had used radar, he would have listed radar as to how he obtained my speed, but he listed lidar along with the model #. I have requested discovery and have yet to receive it.

Maestro64

I was going to say what Carl said which was no LIDAR unit can be operated while in motion, that star wars technology has not come to your local police force yet.

I also was going to say what IGB said about the officer being on an over past, however, just because you did not see him does not mean he was not there. He could have gotten you from behind as you past his hidden location. Or and probably more reasonable you were tagged by another officer and he radio ahead to the car that pulled you over.

You can do the whole discovery thing and see what you can find out about what they used and maybe he will tell you his exact location so you can figure out how he did it.

It sounds like you need to invest in a radar detector and a Laser Jammer since more and more police in CA are using LIDAR. make sure you get rear sensors while you are at it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds like you need to invest in a radar detector and a Laser Jammer since more and more police in CA are using LIDAR. make sure you get rear sensors while you are at it.
Or, the more intelligent thing to do would be to simply slow down. :rolleyes:

CdwJava

Laser jammers are illegal in CA.

Slowing down would be cheaper.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">