• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lighted windshield washer ticket in CA.?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

david71

I received a ticket stating a violation for VC 26100 for having my windshield washer nozels lighted. I bought them at PepBoys, plus everyone here has them. I also looked at the California VC and I dont see how I violated this law. Can someone help. Wether I am wrong or right.

TYRIS

VC§ 26100. Vehicle Equipment
No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device that does not meet the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935.

yes, the section does apply and yes you violated it.

TYRIS

CAGuy25

Please note, I am by no means an expert in law, but what you said makes no sense. All that section says is that no one should use lighting equipment that doesn't conform to Section 26104. And all Section 26104 says, is that any company offering an item for sale, should thorougly test it,

"Required Laboratory Tests

26104. (a) Every manufacturer who sells, offers for sale, or manufactures for use upon a vehicle devices subject to requirements established by the department shall, before the device is offered for sale, have laboratory test data showing compliance with such requirements. Tests may be conducted by the manufacturer.

(b) The department may at any time request from the manufacturer a copy of the test data showing proof of compliance of any device with the requirements established by the department and additional evidence that due care was exercised in maintaining compliance during production. If the manufacturer fails to provide such proof of compliance within 30 days of notice from the department, the department may prohibit the sale of the device in this state until acceptable proof of compliance is received by the department. "

As you can see, this section and section 26100 say nothing about lights being safe or not.

TYRIS said:
VC§ 26100. Vehicle Equipment
No person shall sell or offer for sale for use upon or as part of the equipment of a vehicle, nor shall any person use upon a vehicle, any lighting equipment, safety glazing material, or other device that does not meet the provisions of Section 26104. This section does not apply to a taillamp or stop lamp in use on or prior to December 1, 1935.

yes, the section does apply and yes you violated it.

TYRIS

M

mw1406

In Texas the traffic law states that a vehicle shall not have any light visible in the front of the vehicle other than that of white or amber.

We are currently observing hundreds of vehicles putting blue/red/green lights such as yours on their vehicles.

It is illegal and can subject you to a traffic stop and a citation.

I'm not certain what the traffic code is in CA though but I would guess that it is similar.

P

plifter

Just curious, why in the hell is this illegal? I've seen these lights and I don't see how they bother anything. The one's I've seen were so dim that you had to be within 10 feet of the car to even notice them.:confused:

M

mw1406

Certain colored lights are only allowed for the use on emergency vehicles. When every vehicle is allowed to be equipped with red, blue or whatever colored lights it would make emergency vehicles virtually indistinguishable from the citizens. The lights may be dim but if you allow some, then you would have to allow them all. That's why it's illegal.

P

plifter

I find it difficult to believe that the lights I've seen could be mistaken for emergency vehicle lights. They don't flash and are about the size of a dime. It looks to me like Big Brother is simply out to take away any freedom he can. I'm moving to one of those "free" countries like China or Cuba:mad:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">