• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lights out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sk8tguitar53

the name of my state is California...
what is the minimum amount of yards that a cop has to be from the curb to have his lights off at 1230 am?
and is it illegal to give a ticket a 1/2 mile to a mile away from where the officer saw me?
i believe its entrapment since i did not see him because he had his lights off.. and i did make a complete stop at the stop sign. there was a tree and house in the way of his line of sight.

Kiawah

Is the scenario you reference that the police car is parked somewhere with it's lights off, and you are wondering how far off the street that the officer has to be before he can turn his lights off?

CdwJava

the name of my state is California...
what is the minimum amount of yards that a cop has to be from the curb to have his lights off at 1230 am?
I am not sure what you are asking.

There is no statute that covers where an officer may or may not have his lights on or off with regards to a curb.

and is it illegal to give a ticket a 1/2 mile to a mile away from where the officer saw me?
No. He can give a ticket to you wherever he contacts you for the offense he observed proximate to the contact. In other words, he can give you a ticket for an offense he observed a few moments earlier, but not yesterday. if he wanted to file for the offense of yesterday he might have to send it to the DA first.

i believe its entrapment since i did not see him because he had his lights off..
That is NOT entrapment. The legal definition of entrapment involves whether or not the actions of the officer would induce an otherwise reasonable and law abiding person into committing a crime. Your not seeing the officer is NOT entrapment.

and i did make a complete stop at the stop sign. there was a tree and house in the way of his line of sight.
And that is an excellent point to bring up at trial Take photos and make a diagram for the court. Though, I should point out that it is not difficult to see a car as a whole (and no car I am aware of is shorter than the trunk space of a tree), and if he can articulate that at no time did he see your vehicle come to a complete stop, then you are likely to lose.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">