• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Likelihood of a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

denvertourist

Hi,

I recently visited Denver and was making a left turn at a junction. I went to make the turn but at the last minute saw a car and immediately braked. No contact was made (it was a sort of "near miss"). The problem is that the other car was a police car. :-(.

The police officer pulled over and stopped as I also remained stopped in the middle of the junction. I gestured to him to say I was sorry. As I was blocking the junction I then made my turn onto the road I was turning onto and pulled over (so that the police officer could talk to me if he wanted to). The police car moved away and I sat for a few minutes to calm down before driving off.

I am obviously very glad that there was no accident and that at the last minute i did see the guy but I'm now worried that I will get a ticket. Is it likely that i will get a ticket? How long will it be before i know if i have one? Can the police here issue tickets even if they do not talk to the person? Did I actually committ any offence given that at the last minute I did see the guy and averted an accident? Normally in my country if the police wished to talk a driver (but were in the wrong position) they would put their sirens and lights on, do a U-turn and pull the driver over (at least this is what i believe happens since I've never actually been pulled over myself but my mate has).

Just looking for some local advice.

... a worried tourist.

ps. Denver is a very nice city!

denvertourist said:
Can the police here issue tickets even if they do not talk to the person? Did I actually committ any offence given that at the last minute I did see the guy and averted an accident?
I would not worry about it. Generally, the law enforcement officers (LEOs) do not cite cars. Since he did not pull you over to obtain the information on your driver's license the LEO was not interested in taking time to issue you a citation.

KTL :D

denvertourist

Hi KTL,

Thanks for your reply. I will stop worrying so much now and instead enjoy the sights of Colorado. :)

Thanks,
Best Regards,

denvertourist

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">