• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Limitations on Backing Up

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhillyTeacher

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

OK, my accident happen directly outside my apartment. I was the one backing out of a parking spot. I looked behind me before taking my foot off the brake, it was clear for me to start backing up. I looked infront of me to make sure I had plenty of room to clear the car to my left, I did. At that Point I looked behind me and another car in the aisle of the parking lot hit the back right corner of my bumper (looking at the bumper from the back of the car). I got out of my car, asked the man if he did not see me. He said "No, I did not because of the bad sun glare." I decided to call the police, I've always been told to do that. Needless to say, the man that hit me did not tell the officer about the sun glare. The officer told me how to reach himself and where to pick up the police report. When I realized he was not going to ask for a statement, I questioned this. The officer says "yeah, What Happened?" So I told him what happened and told him about the sun glare.

A week later I received a citation for code 3702a Limitations on Backing up...He stated I was backing up improperly. $105.50 ticket. The insurance companies are looking at the accident as mostly my fault since I was the one backing up...they can't do anything about nature.

The Police report does have my complete statement. There is no mention of the sun glare. I have already sent in my ticket with Not Guilty chosen as my plea. What can be done on the court date?

Last edited:

You Are Guilty

PhillyTeacher said:
The Police report does have my complete statement. There is no mention of the sun glare. I have already sent in my ticket with Not Guilty chosen as my plea. What can be done on the court date?
Do you know yoga?

(edit)
In response to your PM, here's the statute:
§ 3702. Limitations on backing.

(a) General rule.--No driver shall back a vehicle unless the movement can be made with safety and without interfering with other traffic and then only after yielding the right-of-way to moving traffic and pedestrians.
The law presumes that the fact that you hit/were hit by someone while backing was your fault because of the accident. That is, if you backed up "safely", the accident would not have occurred. Therefore, you will likely be found guilty, especially if the other guy sticks to his revised story. Therefore, the yoga comment was a question to see whether you will be limber enough to kiss your money goodbye.

On the bright side, I believe the fine is only $25, exclusive of court costs.

Last edited:

PhillyTeacher

You Are Guilty -

I'm sure if I laid down my yoga mat and started with the Lotus Pose, the judge would dismiss my ticket because of temporary insanity. Are you going to give good advice or smart remarks?

Last edited:

PhillyTeacher

True the initial fine is $25, no big deal...but my ticket has EMS costs, CAT costs and Some other fees, adding to $105.50. I talked to a lawyer, I was told if the other driver does not go to court, then the ticket will be dismissed, same instance if the Officer does not show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">