• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Local Police Jurisdiction on Interstate Highways

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alpinium12

Why do some local police have authority on interstate highways? I recently moved to Cincinnati, and I'm very displeased to learn that the Cincinnati, Loveland, and Sharonville police hang out with radar on Interstates 75 and 71 to enforce speed limits. In all my travels throughout the country, I've never seen or heard of anyone other than state police with such jurisdiction. Are speeding tickets issued by local police on interstate highways contestable with regard to jurisdiction? Please advise. Thanks.

CdwJava

I suspect their peace officer powers exist statewide. So long as the stretch of roadway monitored and cited runs through the jurisdictional boundaries of the agency in question, I doubt there will be an issue. Where they stop you is not so important as where the offense occurred.

- Carl

Jim_bo

I think the truth of the matter is the obvious. Small towns whose limits happen to overlap a section of a major interstate use traffic tickets as a source of revenue. I don't think anyone could reasonably argue that a small town is just being very conscientious by utilizing its overstretched police resources enforcing an interstate that is already patrolled by state police in a benevolent effort to improve safety.

Maestro64

Actually, I believe there is only a few states which limit state highways traffic enforcement to the state police, many states allow the local police to patrol the highways which pass through their jurisdiction.

Jim_bo

Actually, I believe there is only a few states which limit state highways traffic enforcement to the state police, many states allow the local police to patrol the highways which pass through their jurisdiction.
Of course the state would allow a local agency to patrol an interstate. After all, the money the local cops earn on the highway is money they won't be begging the state to provide them.

racer72

Of course the state would allow a local agency to patrol an interstate. After all, the money the local cops earn on the highway is money they won't be begging the state to provide them.
Why do you post crap you have absolutely no proof?

Jim_bo

Do you have proof to the contrary? I don't have proof that the sun will come up tomorrow, but I feel pretty confident in saying it will.

Like the saying goes: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck.

justalayman

Do you have proof to the contrary? I don't have proof that the sun will come up tomorrow, but I feel pretty confident in saying it will.

Like the saying goes: if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck... it's probably a duck.
ask Carl how much his department receives from a ticket. If I remember correctly, it is very little. If so, it really damages your theory.

and in my area, the local police do not receive money from the state. All costs are born by the locals so again, that shoots your theory.

Jim_bo

ask Carl how much his department receives from a ticket. If I remember correctly, it is very little. If so, it really damages your theory.

and in my area, the local police do not receive money from the state. All costs are born by the locals so again, that shoots your theory.
The money goes to the state... the state subsidizes the local governments. When the mob does it, it's called laundering. When the state does it, it's called appropriations.

I_Got_Banned

So far you've mentioned the sun, ducks, the mob and money laundering and yet you haven't posted anything that proves that the fines from OHIO traffic citations go to the state and then somehow trickle down to the law enforcement agency that issues the citation!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So far you've mentioned the sun, ducks, the mob and money laundering and yet you haven't posted anything that proves that the fines from OHIO traffic citations go to the state and then somehow trickle down to the law enforcement agency that issues the citation!
But IGB, c'mon! He says it does - isn't that enough? :confused:

Some Random Guy

Yes, Ohio does allow local police to lurk on the interstates, looking for speeders. In fact a tiny Cleveland suburb (Linndale) was famous for always having one or two police cars radaring traffic at all times since they had no industry and used the traffic fines to pay about 80% of the city budget. They had about a 1/3 mile strip of interstate running through their town.

Marion Online News, news and information from the Marion, Ohio area

At one point the state discussed limiting which cities could patrol the highway based on number of exits the city had or length of road running through the town, but I don't know if that passed.

LSCAP

TO Some random guy, thanks, I think that is the one that I was looking for.

I'd read that a Senator got caught in the speed trap, and was so upset that he was able to eventually get a by-pass built and the town went broke.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">