• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Looking for local Michigan resources

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChadDa3mon

I'm looking for a website (or person) that deals with MI specifically. I'm trying rather hard to read up on legal rights for civil infractions (traffic violations). Things seem to vary quite a bit from district court to district court and I'd like to figure out the real rules and laws behind this.

Simple things like Discovery, Continuance, Change of Location etc.

I don't have any problem with reading up, but I've spent the past hour on Google and Michigans official site, but I can't make heads or tails of anything.

quincy

If you are looking for one site that handles all of Michigan's various traffic codes and the different procedures for each court, you are going to have difficulty.

You can access Michigan's vehicle code at MSP - Michigan State Police and at the Michigan Municipal League's Update: Uniform Traffic Code for Cities, Townships, and Villages, which has links to the Uniform Traffic Code, city ordinances and new traffic laws.

The problem you have in looking up traffic laws is that each city and township has their own traffic ordinances, in addition to the state laws. In some townships, for instance, you may have a "squealing tire" infraction, which is not a state law. You also have areas within cities that may have traffic ordinances that differ from the city ordinances in which these areas are located (university campuses often have special ordinances, for instance).

For Michigan court rules, go to http://coa.courts.mi.gov/rules/

If you are looking for information on a specific court, most have websites. For instance, the 36th District Court's site is http://www.36thdistrictcourt.org/traffic-faq.html and has the questions most often asked about traffic infractions and court appearances.

If you want specific information about a specific city or township and/or a specific court and their procedures, it makes your search a lot easier. Otherwise, looking for all of the different laws will require a substantial amount of time, and investigating the way each court handles traffic matters will, likewise, take a good long time.

In other words, the "real rules and laws" are all of the rules and laws you will run across. Although they vary town to town, and are handled differently court to court, they are still real.

(and to confuse things even more, each judge in each court is going to operate a little differently, as well . . . )

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">