• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mail Carrier Killed My Shih Tzu

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

heathergodwin

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I didn't know exactly where to post this. I live in a rural area and I have a mail carrier who drives entirely to fast for my long gravel driveway. She almost hit my son a few months ago flying around the circle drive. I have since banned my children from playing outside until I'm sure the mail has ran. Yesterday she killed my expensive puppy while my 5 year old son looked on. She showed no remorse, and she only stopped when she saw me bending over. He was not on a leash, but was on my property. Is there anything that can be done?

seniorjudge

Sue the bad person in small claims court.

The judge will want to know why, after you knew of this bad person's awful driving, you were letting an expensive animal run loose and able to get on the road.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
I didn't know exactly where to post this. I live in a rural area and I have a mail carrier who drives entirely to fast for my long gravel driveway. She almost hit my son a few months ago flying around the circle drive. I have since banned my children from playing outside until I'm sure the mail has ran. Yesterday she killed my expensive puppy while my 5 year old son looked on. She showed no remorse, and she only stopped when she saw me bending over. He was not on a leash, but was on my property. Is there anything that can be done?
First, I'm sorry for your loss.

Second, I'm not too familiar with Mississippi law so I cannot advise you on what to do about what has transpired.

For the future, and especially with little chidren, it might be a good idea to move your mailbox to a spot where the mail carrier can access it without needing to drive onto your property. Having a gate might make it even more secure in that you can keep the gate closed thereby keeping inside what should stay inside, and what should stay the outside on the ouitside of the gate!

seniorjudge

Originaly Posted by JonGoff
Okay, without admitting guilt, "I had already stopped several times before getting to the sign. If I stopped three times within 15 yards of the intersection, isn't that sufficient stoppage???
And the sad part was that JonGoff was serious!

divona2000

Your puppy, like most dogs, should have been on a leash, on or off your property.
Have you contacted the Postmaster about this incident?
Have you contacted the Postmaster previously about the carrier speeding in your driveway?
Being a rural route, the carrier was likely driving her personal car, so make a police report and contact her insurance company. You may be able to recoup the legal value of the dog.
Thank God it was not your child that was killed.

Hey There

Options

heathergodwin
SF 91 Operator's Report of Motor Vehicle Accident
SF 94 Statement of Witnesses
The carrier is to report ALL accidents to the supervisor immediately.
They have a kit or should have a kit on hand.
EL-814 Postal Employee 's Guide to Safety
EL-804 Safe Driver's Program #421.3

You may check with the supervisor if an accident report was filed and you may give a witness statement.
Contacting the Postmaster may also be appropriate.

Sadly this won't bring your puppy back
but a consultation with a lawyer
would be useful concerning filing against the carrier for damages.

Your dog was on YOUR PROPERTY and it is the responsibility of a mail carrier to drive at a reasonable speed on a PRIVATE DRIVEWAY.
In fact this applies to anyone using a private driveway.
Going just 25mph it takes a car 150 ft. to stop/30mph =200ft.

How do I know this?
I carried mail for a short time but read the manual from front to back.
Click on NALC USPS Manuals and schroll down for information.
I think Rural carriers operate under the same rules as City carriers.

I take it that the carrier has to use your driveway to deliver your mail.
I Got Banned offers a solution to consider by having your mail box repositioned where the postal carrier wouldn't use your driveway.
A couple of horses (the wooden kind) could block the driveway temporarily until a fence is built if you decide to do that.
Divona offers options as well.
Quote:Being a rural route, the carrier was likely driving her personal car, so make a police report and contact her insurance company .

Sorry about your puppy.
My thought is that as long as the dog is on your property it should be able to run loose. No one ever hit one of my animals (dog or cat) just because they were temporarily in the driveway, a driveway shared by four houses.

Do keep us posted on this.
Best Regards,
Hey There

I_Got_Banned

My thought is that as long as the dog is on your property it should be able to run loose. No one ever hit one of my animals (dog or cat) just because they were temporarily in the driveway, a driveway shared by four houses.
I agree... I think it's cruel to tie up dogs in general (other than to comply with leash laws) but in the owner's yard, and one that is fenced in/gated... I think they should be loose. That mail carrier should be reprimanded severly!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">