• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maine Work Zone Speeding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JBM

What is the name of your state? maine

I was travelling rt. 95s in biddeford, maine at 65 mph (legal speed limit). i entered a work zone, but didn't see the 50 mph speed limit sign on the right side of the highway. there was no construction in sight, because i had just entered the speed zone. about a quarter mile ahead, i saw a large lit construction sign flashing the 50 mph speed limit and touched the brake, but a state trooper was behind the sign and had already clocked me @66 mph. the fine was doubled-$339. i know i was speeding, but i think the fine is excessive, i have a very clean record, should i bother fighting it, or just pay it?

lwpat

It is always a good idea to contest a speeding ticket. If you appear in court they will usually reduce the fine/violation. If you have a clean record this one ticket will probably not effect your insurance rates so the choice is up to you.

The problem is if you should happen to get another one since this ticket will stay on your record for three years. Two tickets on your record will cause a jump in premiums if they pull your MVR. You will still have to pay the fine but if may be to your advantage to call the clerk of court and see if you can take traffic school and keep the ticket off your record.

Since you indicate that there was a standard black and white sign with the reduced speed prior to being clocked you have very little chance of getting the ticket dismissed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">