• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mandatory Court Appearance for Simple Speeding Violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BA0201

Hi. I'm a minor with a provisional driver's license in California. Exactly 2 weeks ago I recieved a speeding ticket for going 61 on a 45 expressway (I was not sure what the speed limit was and was on the breaks when the officer stopped me). It was a clear day and I was not near any other cars. Needless to say this was my first speeding ticket, but I was suprised when the ticket did not say any amount to pay. I did not get stopped in the same city where I live (but I'm almost positive it was the same county). The officer told me I would get a letter from my local court. Today I got a courtesy notice in my mail from my county's superior court. Both my last name and address are misspelled by one letter. My violation code is a 22350, which i looked up and is apparently just a basic speed violation (although according to the conditions i may contest it). I also looked up how much the fine should be, about $50 for my infraction. However, the courtesy notice indicates that my court appearance is MANDATORY and the amount due for my court appearance is $197.50. I was under the impression that I would just be able to pay a ticket, maybe go to traffic school, and have that be the end of it. The self service website, www.scselfservice.org, was of no help to me, and I will try calling the number tomorrow. I am a little frightened and am hoping this is just some sort of mistake, so advice would be very welcome.

Thank you,
Boaz

sukharev

What are you frightened about? Loosing $200 is nothing compared to what you will loose in insurance premiums. Traffic school is also something you have to get from the judge, not by yourself. So, calm down, and read some more on real defense strategies (so far you have not given us any reasons for defense). Examples are: speed trap, radar calibration and testing, road conditions, etc. Consider TBD (trial by declaration) also.

That said, if you admit you screwed up and missed the sign, then just plead guilty, tell that to the judge and ask for traffic school.

BA0201

What i mean is I don't understand WHY it is mandatory to go to court and WHY I have a $200 fine. I was under the impression that for my infraction I'd just get a ticket for $50 or traffic school and be done with it. Also, it says I am ineligible for Trial by Declaration. I must choose between and arraignment and a court trial. The reason I am nervous is that I don't know why this is the case and I do not want to get in any sort of legal trouble.
Thank you.

justalayman

BA0201 said:
What i mean is I don't understand WHY it is mandatory to go to court and WHY I have a $200 fine. I was under the impression that for my infraction I'd just get a ticket for $50 or traffic school and be done with it. Also, it says I am ineligible for Trial by Declaration. I must choose between and arraignment and a court trial. The reason I am nervous is that I don't know why this is the case and I do not want to get in any sort of legal trouble.
Thank you.
could it possibly be because you were a minor with a provisional driver's license??

Different rules may very well apply. Have you looked at you DMV/BMV manual??

BA0201

Yes, I just called the courthouse and I have to go to court because I am a minor with a speeding ticket. Once I'm at court I can ask for traffic school and will not have to pay the fine. Thank you guys for your help.

seniorjudge

BA0201 said:
Yes, I just called the courthouse and I have to go to court because I am a minor with a speeding ticket. Once I'm at court I can ask for traffic school and will not have to pay the fine. Thank you guys for your help.
Standard answer

Here are some hints on appearing in court:

Dress professionally in clean clothes.

Do not wear message shirts.

Don't chew gum, smoke, or eat. (Smokers...pot or tobacco...literally stink. Remember that before you head for court.)

Bathe and wash your hair.

Do not bring small children or your friends.

Go to court beforehand some day before you actually have to go to watch how things go.

Speak politely and deferentially. If you argue or dispute something, do it professionally and without emotion.

Ask the court clerk who you talk to about a diversion (meaning you want to plead to a different, lesser charge), if applicable in your situation. Ask about traffic school and that the ticket not go on your record, if applicable. Ask also about getting a hardship driving permit, if applicable. Ask about drug court, if applicable.

From marbol:

“Judge...

You forgot the one thing that I've seen that seems to frizz up most judges these days:

If you have a cell phone, make DAMN SURE that it doesn't make ANY noise in the courtroom. This means when you are talking to the judge AND when you are simply sitting in the court room.

If you have a ‘vibrate’ position on your cell phone, MAKE sure the judge DOESN'T EVEN HEAR IT VIBRATE!

Turn it off or put it in silent mode where it flashes a LED if it rings. AND DON'T even DREAM about answering it if it rings.”

(Better yet, don’t carry your cell phone into the courtroom.)”

Here are five stories that criminal court judges hear the most (and I suggest you do not use them or variations of them):

1. I’ve been saved! (This is not religion specific; folks from all kinds of religious backgrounds use this one.)

2. My girlfriend/mother/sister/daughter/wife/ex-wife/niece/grandma/grand-daughter is pregnant/sick/dying/dead/crippled/crazy and needs my help.

3. I’ve got a job in [name a state five hundred miles away].

4. This is the first time I ever did this. (This conflicts with number 5 below, but that hasn’t stopped some defendants from using both.)

5. You’ve got the wrong guy. (A variation of this one is the phantom defendant story: “It wasn’t me driving, it was a hitchhiker I picked up. He wrecked the car, drug me behind the wheel then took off.” Or, another variation: “I was forced into it by a bad guy!”)

https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=854687#post854687

Public defender’s advice

http://newyork.craigslist.org/about/best/sfo/70300494.html

Other people may give you other advice; stand by.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">