• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

marked lane violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wanglihe2010

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

Hi, guys, I just a ticket for marked lane violation.

I was followed by a sheriff car when I was driving back home at around 3 am on last Saturday. I noticed that officer and tried my best to drive politely. After being followed for a while, I was polled over by the officer, and he said I did not pay attention and touched the yellow lane on the road for many times when I was driving, and then gave me a ticket in which the only violation is marked lane. It happened in a rural road which has just one lane on each direction and there was no car on the road. I just drove like normal and I did not feel I touched the yellow lane but I did not have any proof to prove that I did not touch the yellow lane. I was thinking is there any camera on the sheriff car to take a photo of my violation. Even tough I was indeed touching the yellow lane, I feel it is ridiculous to get a ticket just because of this. It was dark on the road and I cannot see the lane clearly, and the right side of road is a slope and I was afraid to fall into, so I tried my best to drive close to the yellow lane.

I am planning to fighting in the court. Do you guys have any good idea about this?

I am sorry for my bad English writing since I am an international student here and just came to USA for a few months.

I will appreciate any help you will provide.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Even tough I was indeed touching the yellow lane, I feel it is ridiculous to get a ticket just because of this.
So you admit you are guilty. It doesn't matter what you think about the statute. It is apparently a violation which means you can certainly receive a traffic ticket for it. And you did.

It was dark on the road and I cannot see the lane clearly...
That's why cars have headlights. If you can't see the road because it was "too dark" then either there was a problem with your car or a problem with your eyes.

HighwayMan

I would also be willing to bet that the deputy, after observing your driving behavior, thought you were drunk and stopped you to investigate.

wanglihe2010

I would also be willing to bet that the deputy, after observing your driving behavior, thought you were drunk and stopped you to investigate.
Thank you for your reply. You are correct, the first question he asked was whether I was drunk. But I did not drink anything that day.

wanglihe2010

So you admit you are guilty. It doesn't matter what you think about the statute. It is apparently a violation which means you can certainly receive a traffic ticket for it. And you did.

I don't think I touched the yellow lane, I just drove like usual....

That's why cars have headlights. If you can't see the road because it was "too dark" then either there was a problem with your car or a problem with your eyes.
what I mean not clear is compared to the daylight time... and there is many curve on the road.

HighwayMan

what I mean not clear is compared to the daylight time... and there is many curve on the road.
When your headlights are on and functioning properly then there should be no problem seeing the pavement markings. The curves in the road do not obscure the center line or make it more difficult to see.

If you intend to use these types of excuses in court you'll just be wasting your time. You do not seem to have anything close to a valid defense or justification.

wanglihe2010

When your headlights are on and functioning properly then there should be no problem seeing the pavement markings. The curves in the road do not obscure the center line or make it more difficult to see.

If you intend to use these types of excuses in court you'll just be wasting your time. You do not seem to have anything close to a valid defense or justification.
Thanks for your reply. So do you have any idea what should I say in the court? I feel the 130 dollars fine is too much for me. I just got my license for a few months and still new to drive. I tried my best to drive carefully on the road and did not get any ticket before. This kind of violation is not like speeding tickets which I can control, I did not even realized I touched the marked lane. I am afraid this kind of thing will happen again since I need time to practice my driving skill.

Thanks again

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks for your reply. So do you have any idea what should I say in the court? I feel the 130 dollars fine is too much for me. I just got my license for a few months and still new to drive. I tried my best to drive carefully on the road and did not get any ticket before. This kind of violation is not like speeding tickets which I can control, I did not even realized I touched the marked lane. I am afraid this kind of thing will happen again since I need time to practice my driving skill.

Thanks again
Then you should NOT be driving without help if you need "time to practice" your driving skills. We don't need people experimenting on the roads. That is how innocent lives are lost.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Thanks again
If you cannot control your vehicle well enough to stay within the lane, then you shouldn't be driving at all.

ETA: Yeah, what she said!

HighwayMan

So do you have any idea what should I say in the court?
There is nothing you can say that will make this go away. You have NO defense and certainly no justification.

...and did not get any ticket before.
That hardly gives you the right to brag. It's not like you were driving for 20 years with no tickets. Not that it would be relevant anyway.

This kind of violation is not like speeding tickets which I can control
To the contrary - you CAN control it.

You should be asking yourself if you should be driving around at 3:00 AM if you can't see the road and/or control your vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">