• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Massachusetts Request for Discovery, how & when?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

needadvice88

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I got a stop sign ticket. In another thread, I was advised to file a request for discovery. I have not mailed in my ticket for appeal yet, still have about 15 days. If I want to see the officer's notes and evidence, when and where should I file the request? Should I wait until the clerk magistrate hearing, or before I send in the ticket for appeal, or after I request trial before a judge? thanks.

Orcons

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

I got a stop sign ticket. In another thread, I was advised to file a request for discovery. I have not mailed in my ticket for appeal yet, still have about 15 days. If I want to see the officer's notes and evidence, when and where should I file the request? Should I wait until the clerk magistrate hearing, or before I send in the ticket for appeal, or after I request trial before a judge? thanks.
You send the request to the police department in the city that issued the ticket. If it was the state police you send it to the trooper's barracks. You can request it at any point. I would request it now so I knew what I was dealing with. They have 10 days to respond. Look at the National Motorists Association web site, they have a page for Mass that explains how to make the request.

needadvice88

Thank you for pointing me to that great site! If they don't respond, or if they respond after 10 days, will it be reason enough to bring it up during the magistrate hearing to dismiss the case? or must I wait until the second round with a judge? If they don't respond within 10 days, am I obligated to send in another request again if I still have time before the court date? thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">