• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Material Defects

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AskChris36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
So I was issued a speeding ticket this morning (1st one in almost 18 years...2nd one ever) for going 38 in a 30 zone. First of all, I thought the speed limit was 35. I went back and there were no signs posted within a mile in either direction.

I realize the aforementioned has no real bearing but I am wondering if the following issue might...perhaps you can give me some good advice?

The vehicle I was driving was my father's pick-up and has Idaho plates. (again, the infraction occurred in Utah) Anyway, I was looking over the ticket and noticed that the officer listed the vehicle as being licensed in Nevada. Does this constitute enough of an error to be considered a "material defect" and invalidate the citation?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Very doubtful.

Sounds like you have no legit defense.

There were speed limit signs posted, you just didn't pay attention to them.

And for the record, I think that writing someone for 8 over is a bit ridiculous. But hey, that's just me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">