• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

[MD] Driving on suspended license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cero2

What is the name of your state? MARYLAND

I got pulled over last night around midnight for driving on a suspended license because my headlight was out which I was unaware of. The police offer gave me a warning for my headlight and gave me 2 citations for driving on a suspended license. One was for driving on a suspended license and the other was for driving on a suspended license under (17-106, 26-204, 26-206, 27-103). Both are a must appear in court for. I also got a summons to go to a District Court Commissioner for Frederick County for a Preliminary Inquiry.

First I want to know what the difference between those 2 citations are??
Second I was wondering what the possible penaltys could be for this incident?

I'm on my provisional I only have 3-4 points on my license right now. My license was suspended for 6 months and I was on month 4 of the suspension when I got pulled over last night. I'm hoping this will not result in any jail time and/or revoking of my license.

If anyone could help me or give me any advice I would appreciate it. Thank you, I am in desperate need of any advice. Also wondering if I should get a lawyer and how to fight that citation in court, and how to fight the suspension afterwards.

cero2

My license was suspended when I got pulled over.. meaning I wasn't supposed to have one. But I did have one, and the cop took it away from me. I don't think it will be possible for me to get a license before going to court if it is suspended right now..?

Unless the court date is after March 6th, which is when my suspension is over.

But still the ticket occured when it was suspsended so I'm not sure how that works..

quincy

You need a lawyer. If you qualify for free assistance, it is available through the Office of Public Defender (877-430-5187) or contact the Maryland State Bar Association for low-cost attorneys able to help you.

With a "must appear" ticket, you have no choice but to go to court - you will have a trial, and you may receive jail time. Driving on a suspended license in Maryland is a criminal offense.

The 17-106, 26-204 and 26-206, are both driving on suspended license infractions which can add 3 points to your record. The 27-103 is also a driving on a suspended license infraction, but it is the "biggie", adding 12 points to your record and revocation of your license.

With your current 3-4 points, an additional 3 points added will mean that you must sign up for a Points System Conference and/or attend a Driver Improvement Program. If you are found guilty of BOTH 3 point suspended license infractions, 6 points are added and you will have your license suspended for a longer period of time, as well as having to attend the Conference or Driver Program. With the 12 points, your license is just out-and-out revoked. No more driving, period. Fines are included with all of these infractions. Expect to be paying a lot!

You will want your attorney to fight the 27-203, if at all possible, and fight against jail time.

Whatever the outcome, you can expect to be off the roads for awhile - hopefully not in jail while you're off them.

Contact your District Court for more information.

cero2

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.

& it doesn't matter if the cop shows up at those court dates? or does he have to?

quincy

I don't know if he has to show up, but I expect he will. You should be prepared to see him there.

And, seriously, get an attorney. You should have one with you for the Preliminary Inquiry. The attorney may be able to get the 27-203 knocked off then, so you eliminate the risk of having your license revoked. If you were on a provisional license, I am assuming you are young - which may bode well for you as far as jail time goes. Your attorney will use your age, more than likely, to help you avoid jail - but it really will depend on all of the facts (including what your 3-4 other points were issued for).

Good luck.

cero2

That would be a really short amount of time to get a lawyer, because I have to go to the preliminary inquiry within 5 days of getting my ticket. Which is Wednesday. I am 21 years old. The 3 points on my license are for speeding. 3 different tickets.

quincy

Although 21 is young, it may not be young enough to keep you from some jail time. I was thinking you might be 16 or 17. :(

The speeding tickets are bad, obviously, but at least you don't have anything more serious.

Call NOW for an attorney - start with the Public Defender Office (which is probably open for another 4o minutes or so) and then the Maryland Bar on Monday. Yes, it is a short amount of time to get a lawyer, but call until you find one! I really think you should have one for the Preliminary Inquiry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">