• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD speeding ticket, VA driver's license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexgep34

I just got cited in MD for going 75 in a 55 zone. I guess that's technically reckless driving, since it's 20 over the posted limit, however after closely reviewing the citation, I noticed that the trooper who pulled me over did not explicitly specify the violation he cited me for as instructed by the citation form in bold capital letters as follows: "CIRCLE VIOLATION BELOW (ONE VIOLATION ONLY)" While he wrote down the speed he clocked me at in the space for the first listed violation option (Exceed max speed _____MPH in ___ zone) and the fine ($160), he did not circle it as specified by the directions on the citation form. My question is could this be grounds to throw out this citation on a "paperwork" technicality, given the trooper did not explicitly circle the violation as directed by the form? Is this a defendable legal argument and opt to go to court? Or should I just pay the fine? I have a spotless driving record as of present, but of course am concerned that any possible points from this citation will transfer to VA, which holds my license, which may apply higher points, regardless of any final MD decision.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

The failure to circle things isn't going to mean squat in the long run. Your imagined technicalities won't get you out of anything in court.

You will be assessed points in Virginia for MD violations as if they occurred in Virginia if you are convicted.

alexgep34

legal assistance?

OK fair enough, but do you think I could still get some sort of leniency from the court (w/ legal counsel assistance) given this is my first offense?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">