• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MD trooper in middle of lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hkornfeld

I got a speeding ticket on I-95 in Maryland. The trooper flagged me down by standing in my lane (far left) and motioning me aside. Apparently Maryland state patrol is known for doing this.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him a while back and took it to court. In his statement to the judge, the officer went to great length to indicate that he hadn't crossed the white line before stopping my friend. Apparently, he was doing this to avoid getting the ticket thrown out. Supposedly, it's illegal for an officer to be blocking traffic like that. Has anyone had a similar experience in court? Does anyone know if cops aren't supposed to be standing in traffic on highways?

Thanks.

Curt581

hkornfeld said:
I got a speeding ticket on I-95 in Maryland. The trooper flagged me down by standing in my lane (far left) and motioning me aside. Apparently Maryland state patrol is known for doing this.

A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him a while back and took it to court. In his statement to the judge, the officer went to great length to indicate that he hadn't crossed the white line before stopping my friend. Apparently, he was doing this to avoid getting the ticket thrown out. Supposedly, it's illegal for an officer to be blocking traffic like that. Has anyone had a similar experience in court? Does anyone know if cops aren't supposed to be standing in traffic on highways?

Thanks.
So you're not disputing the fact that you were speeding...

You just have a problem with the manner in which you were stopped?

What does one have to do with the other?

Crazed98

Yea those MD Troopers are crazy. While I was driving all the way from Jersey to Florida and back the only people I saw getting pulled over were in MD about 7 of them and all the cops were in unmarked camaros and mustangs.

But, how do you mean he was blocking traffic if he was just waving you over?

Did he stop all traffic in the left lane just to pull you over???

parrotmom

Let me tell you........

hkornfeld said:

Thanks.
Please don't think I'm hijacking.......

Back in June of 1991...3 of my friends and myself were on our way to Ocean City. We were traveling in the left lane, all of a sudden, the car in front of us veered into the right lane and kept going, next thing we see is a MD Trooper physically STANDING in the middle of the left lane. Of course to avoid hitting him, we had to slam on the brakes and veer to the left shoulder, well when we did this, it caused two cars behind us to crash into us...you know, one hit us and another hit the guy who hit us.
I couldn't believe what I saw, never come across anything like that before.
Of course we were not cited as he was going after the vehicle that veered and kept going.
Still, it amazes me that they are allowed to do that. I 95 sucks as it is without having to worry about if a Trooper is going to jump out infront of you!

Just thought I'd share my story...

Crazed98

Yea there is definatly something wrong if a trooper is going to walk out into the middle of the fastlane on a highway causing other cars to crash just to wave over a speeder.

hkornfeld

Crazed98 said:
Yea those MD Troopers are crazy. While I was driving all the way from Jersey to Florida and back the only people I saw getting pulled over were in MD about 7 of them and all the cops were in unmarked camaros and mustangs.

But, how do you mean he was blocking traffic if he was just waving you over?

Did he stop all traffic in the left lane just to pull you over???
Luckily, there wasn't anybody behind me for quite a while, so there was no traffic to block. He did stand in my lane and motion me aside. He wasn't all the way in the middle, I had enough space to avoid him while slowing down.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">