• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Meeting/Overtaking School Bus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coralhi

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a ticket in the mail for meeting/overtaking a school bus. I was making a left turn when a school bus was approaching, it did not have it's light on. i made the turn and heard the bus driver honking. So i stopped and looked to see if the red lights were on but there were not. My 2 daughters were in the car as well and they turned and noticed the bus driver turn on the red lights and stop signed after I stopped my car. I am fighting this ticket and have my court date coming up soon. I plan to bring my daughters as witness but is there anything else I should bring or prepare for court? what are my chances of fighting this?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I received a ticket in the mail for meeting/overtaking a school bus. I was making a left turn when a school bus was approaching, it did not have it's light on. i made the turn and heard the bus driver honking. So i stopped and looked to see if the red lights were on but there were not. My 2 daughters were in the car as well and they turned and noticed the bus driver turn on the red lights and stop signed after I stopped my car. I am fighting this ticket and have my court date coming up soon. I plan to bring my daughters as witness but is there anything else I should bring or prepare for court? what are my chances of fighting this?
http://www.justdrivepa.org/traffic-safety-information-center/school-bus-safety/

http://www.justdrivepa.org/Traffic-Safety-Information-Center/School-Bus-Safety/When-to-Stop-for-School-Buses/

pcgeek86

It sounds like you're in a pretty good spot, having two witnesses to support you. I doubt that the bus driver will have witnesses in court beyond themselves, so your witnesses' testimony should hold some decent weight. Make sure that you prepare cross-examination questions to poke holes in the bus driver's argument. Document what happened step-by-step, and ask the bus driver obvious questions (which aren't obvious to the judge):

Who had right-of-way?
Were the bus' lights flashing?
Were the red stop signs protruding from the bus?

Did you observe the bus moving? If so, at what approximate speed?
Did you make your left turn at a safe speed and distance from the school bus?

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

racer72

Your daughters will likely not be allowed to testify in your defense, they will be considered hostile witnesses.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Your daughters will likely not be allowed to testify in your defense, they will be considered hostile witnesses.
Hostile witnesses can testify. Hostile witnesses testify all the time. And they wouldn't be hostile to her -- they would be her witnesses. You don't know what a hostile witness is, do you? Why do you think they won't be allowed to testify if they are called "hostile witnesses"? The bigger issue is the age of the children and whether they would be considered competent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">