• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Merging across solid white line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amypharm

What is the name of your state? VA
I got pulled over by a local sheriff on a motorcycle (he had been sitting near an acceleration lane). I crossed a single, solid white line while merging onto an interstate. There were 2 acceleration lanes merging onto a 3 lane interstate without much traffic. The car in front of me was going slower than I was. I was already up to speed, so I merged before the broken white line. I was also on a cell phone, which I believe is the real reason I was pulled, because he threatened to give me wreckless driving due to my cell phone use (which is not illegal in VA at my age). The ticket was for "driving through a safety zone", a phrase he used repeatedly. The VA driver's manual makes no mention of safety zones. This is merely an acceleration lane. I thought single, solid white lines were OK to cross if safe, and I have no idea if a judge would even know what "driving through a safety zone" would mean. Thanks for your feedback.

xylene

Forget what the officer said.

Tell us what the ticket says, and what the violation / infraction is exactly as written on the ticket, be sure to include the statute number.

Hey There

1-8-08
amypharm

46.2-814. Driving through safety zone prohibited.

No driver of a vehicle shall drive through or over a safety zone
Is this the vehicle code you were cited for?
If so what is considered a safety zone?

Regards,
Hey There

Ozark_Sophist

You were in the wrong depending on the width of the line. Solid double line (white or yellow) means no crossing. A
The general functions of longitudinal lines are:
A. A double line indicates maximum or special restrictions,
B. A solid line discourages or prohibits crossing (depending on the specific application),
MUTCD SECTION 3A.04 COLORS
Standard: Markings shall be yellow, white, red, or blue. The colors for markings shall conform to
the standard highway colors. Black in conjunction with one of the above colors shall be a usable
color.
When used, white markings for longitudinal lines shall delineate:
A. The separation of traffic flows in the same direction.
B. The right edge of the roadway.
http://www.virginiadot.org/business/resources/bu-mat-PaveMarkCh1.pdf

Last edited:

amypharm

Exactly.

1-8-08
amypharm

46.2-814. Driving through safety zone prohibited.

No driver of a vehicle shall drive through or over a safety zone
Is this the vehicle code you were cited for?
If so what is considered a safety zone?

Regards,
Hey There
I told the officer I had never heard of a safety zone, and he said I was taught this when I got my license (24yrs ago). That's why I checked the VA driver's manual, and this phrase does not appear anywhere. Single, solid white lines are are supposed to discourage lane changes. There were no additional signs designating this as a special zone. Anyone know how to tell when you are in a safety zone? Thanks.

FlyingRon

They call it different things in different states but the general rule is you're not supposed to cross solid lines. White means that the stuff on the other side is the same direction as you. Yellow means the stuff on the other side is going in the opposite direction. Been that way since the seventies.

xylene

The VA drivers manual is not "the law".
I don't think he is arguing the law, he is arguing the policeman was incompetent.

BUT, the fact that the policeman was wrong does not necessarily invalidate the ticket, in fact it probably has no bearing at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I don't think he is arguing the law, he is arguing the policeman was incompetent.

BUT, the fact that the policeman was wrong does not necessarily invalidate the ticket, in fact it probably has no bearing at all.
And, I think he's arguing that he's never heard of the fact that you're not supposed to cross the solid white line...that IS something that everybody should learn when they are learning to drive. So, if anyone was incompetent, it's whoever taught the OP to drive...

xylene

And, I think he's arguing that he's never heard of the fact that you're not supposed to cross the solid white line...that IS something that everybody should learn when they are learning to drive. So, if anyone was incompetent, it's whoever taught the OP to drive...
Well then why wasn't he ticketed for that?

I know you just love the police, I don't, so when a cop makes a mistake I come down like a hammer.

(For the benefit of those who can't read tone: The previous sentence and the following are satire and sarcasm.)

A policeman saying something is in the manual AND IT ISN'T... well two words. TOTAL INCOMPETENCE.

BUT, the drivers manual is not a legal document, and all drivers must obey the law.

Thus, the fact that the motorcycle cop was talking out of his helmet, provides no defense for a safety zone violation, which, at least per the posters description of his actions, he certainly committed.

Zigner

Well then why wasn't he ticketed for that?
:rolleyes: We still don't know WHAT the op was ticketed for ;)

A policeman saying something is in the manual AND IT ISN'T... well two words. TOTAL INCOMPETENCE.
Our op stated that the officer told her that she was taught this when she got her license. NOT that it was "in the manual". So, at this point, you are the one talking out of your...helmet.

BUT, the drivers manual is not a legal document, and all drivers must obey the law.
You got that right.

amypharm

Originally Posted by Zigner
And, I think he's arguing that he's never heard of the fact that you're not supposed to cross the solid white line...that IS something that everybody should learn when they are learning to drive.

The question was concerning safety zones, not white lines. I don't know anyone personally who has the foggiest idea what a safety zone is. Everyone I know thinks it is some sort of work zone, etc. that is specially marked. Perhaps I did cross a "gore" when I merged early as another member discussed. It's concerning, though, that the officer wanted to give me wreckless driving "for driving through a safety zone while on a cell phone" (but settled on 46.2-814) when the average person can't even explain what a safety zone is.

Zigner

Originally Posted by Zigner
And, I think he's arguing that he's never heard of the fact that you're not supposed to cross the solid white line...that IS something that everybody should learn when they are learning to drive.

The question was concerning safety zones, not white lines. I don't know anyone personally who has the foggiest idea what a safety zone is. Everyone I know thinks it is some sort of work zone, etc. that is specially marked. Perhaps I did cross a "gore" when I merged early as another member discussed. It's concerning, though, that the officer wanted to give me wreckless driving "for driving through a safety zone while on a cell phone" (but settled on 46.2-814) when the average person can't even explain what a safety zone is.
But, in the end, it's totally irrelevant. You were cited for what you did.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">