• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Method of meauring speed missing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

copperalex

What is the name of your state?
State: Utah
County: Davis
City: Kaysville

I have a ticket for speeding in Davis county in Utah. The problem is that my ticket does mention the method that my speed was calculated. It does have three "boxes" tagged "UT", "CO" and "CY" and the "UT" box is checked. Does those initials describe the method that was used to capture my speed?
If not, is that a reason for dismissal? I guess not huh?
So, when defend, should i ask the cop what method was used and then formate my defense according to his response?

Thanks
A.

FlyingRon

State (Utah), County, and City I would suspect. Unrelated to your speed.

You can certainly ask the officer in court (he most likely will already have indicated how he determined you were speeding during his initial testimony anyway). You can also probably request discovery if you want to know in advance.

How would it affect your defense?

copperalex

If the method was radar, i would ask for documentation for proof of calibration/inspection of the radar device,; i believe they have to be tested every six months, correct?
If it was speedometer, i will ask for documentation for speedometer calibration; again, six months, right?
If it was laser then i can use weather conditions, and the speedometer defense.

Do you know where i can find information on the web about how to change the court location, how to ask for a speedy trial and how much the time frame for a speedy trial is?

The Occultist

If you want any documentation, you need to get via a Discovery request prior to the court date. There are plenty of threads on this board that contain advice on requesting Discovery, or you can Google it. Remember that it can be state specific, so make sure that you are looking at information pertaining to your state.

Usually you must request from the officer at the time of stop for a change of venue for traffic court. Although the judge MAY grant you the change, and I have heard of it happening, I have never seen it. What is your reason for requesting a change of venue?

Speedy trials usually don't apply to traffic cases, but more for misdemeanors and felonies. Utah might have some sort of speedy trial system, so it is worth looking into, just in case. Try Googling "utah traffic speedy trial" and see if you can turn anything up.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">