• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MI license suspended, now in NC, can I get license??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carini1024

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I got my license in MI suspended for not paying a ticket, I recently moved to North Carolina. Will I be able to get a NC license if it's suspended in MI??

LSCAP

Not likely. Their computer system is up to date. Really up to date.

And once you become involved with NC and Licenses you have lots of big problems.

A co-worker was refused. He found out someone else in another state used his name, etc, and had tickets on the other state's License.

I_Got_Banned

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

I got my license in MI suspended for not paying a ticket, I recently moved to North Carolina. Will I be able to get a NC license if it's suspended in MI??
LSCAP is correct... You will not be able to... Search the net for "Driver's License Compact" and you will understand why.

Maestro64

Not to give IGB a hard time, but them find out your had a suspended license has nothing to do with the DLC. DLC just said if you get a ticket in another state you home state will make you pay your fine.

The Patriot Act required that all State link their DL database so they could kept track of people by the SS number. Because of this linking of the databases most states now know immediately whether you have a valid DL in another state or if you our any out standing tickets or warrants against you.

I_Got_Banned

Not to give IGB a hard time, but them find out your had a suspended license has nothing to do with the DLC. DLC just said if you get a ticket in another state you home state will make you pay your fine.
I don't see it as you giving me a hard time... Especially if a correction is warranted... The OP should look up the National Drivers Register instead.

However, if you were to search the vehicle code of most states, you will see that the most will only list the DLC in there. From there, each state will use the info obtained via the DLC, or NDR, or Driver License Agreement (DLA) or even the older Non-Resident Violator Compact, then it will apply its own laws to effect a suspension of the driving privilege of an out of state driver who recently moved there.
The Patriot Act required that all State link their DL database so they could kept track of people by the SS number. Because of this linking of the databases most states now know immediately whether you have a valid DL in another state or if you our any out standing tickets or warrants against you.
While the Patriot Act is somehow connected to the Real ID Act, neither one was put together to regulate driver's licenses and the ability to obtain one in any state.

Point is, the OP's license suspension in their home state will prevent them from obtaining a DL in most other states.

Maestro64

While the Patriot Act is somehow connected to the Real ID Act, neither one was put together to regulate driver's licenses and the ability to obtain one in any state.

Point is, the OP's license suspension in their home state will prevent them from obtaining a DL in most other states.
Your correct, that was not the intended purpose, but an artifact of the requirement the Fed put on states to link the databases so the fed could track people as they may move from state to state and hold licenses in multiply states under various names and the such.

Prior to this state did not have the automatic ability to know your current status in another state.

On a side note, when I live in CA, I had to forfeit my PA license to get a CA otherwise they were going to make me do all the testing, so I did and walk out with my CA license. However then I return to PA, which was less then 10 yrs, I told them I use to have a PA license and they looked me up in the database and found I still have valid license so they reissued me my old license and I kept my CA license. Which I used every time I went back to CA the following 4 yrs until it was not valid anymore.

SO not more moving to another state to escape your past, those days are long gone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">