• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan car registration question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chojna

What is the name of your state? MI
If I move to Michigan State – how long I can drive on out of state car registration and license in MI?
I read somewhere that license needs to be changed in 60 days and car registration up to 6 months

FlyingRon

The Michigan web site says "Immediately" upon becoming a resident for both. 60 days to six months doesn't sound like immediately.
http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,1607,7-127-1642-103522--,00.html

Hey There

1-8-08
chonja,
No testing is required to change a valid out-of-state license to an MI driver's license. You do need to pass the vision test, surrender your current driver's licence, and pay a fee.

A driver must obtain a Michigan driver's licence when he becomes a permanent resident
"Resident" means every person who resides in a settled or permanent home or domicile with the intention of remaining in this state. A person who obtains employment in this state is presumed to have the intention of remaining in this state.
There is no grace period once permanent residence is established as Flying Ron has stated in the previous post .

Best Regards,
Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">