• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan License, Indiana Ticket - consquences??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

troubled_guy

What is the name of your state? MI

I was driving through Indiana on Friday and was doing 65 in a 40 zone. I got pulled over and got my second ticket in 2 years. I called the court and apparently this is 6 points on my license!! which is not one bit good for my insurance...:(

My question is will these points get transferred to Michigan and show on my record there? I know Indiana has a deferral program, can i do this? how will that help?? anything to keep the points away!!

thanks

troubled_guy

ok.. that link helped somewhat. i see that michigan is not a part of the NRVC. so does that mean, i pay the fine on my ticket, and i will be all set? without having to worry about points?

cheers

The Occultist

Well if you read lower, it also states that if EITHER state is not a part of the compact that they might just go ahead and suspend your license. You can get a more complete/accurate answer by contacting your local DMV and directing your questions to them.

justalayman

Don't know about the points but I do know your insurance company will find out and it will affect your rates just as if it was in Michigan.

Don't know about the points but I do know your insurance company will find out and it will affect your rates just as if it was in Michigan.
Want to bet? That is not a true statement at all. I've had the same situation and the insurance company never took notice because the points are not on your record for one thing.

moburkes

Want to bet? That is not a true statement at all. I've had the same situation and the insurance company never took notice because the points are not on your record for one thing.
I'll take you up on that bet, troll. I've added out of state violations to people's driving records many times, and for many years. Just because YOUR insurance company MISSED a violation, doesn't mean that it is always missed. I take it that you live in MI and got a ticket in IN? What a coincidence!

justalayman

Oh, I will definately take that bet. That is how I found out my daughter got a speeding ticket in Indiana:mad: . (I am a Mi resident). I also know my speeding ticket :eek: (Indiana also)(1st in many many years) also was noted by the insurance company.

So, how do you want to send me the money? It was $1k, right?

Oh, I will definately take that bet. That is how I found out my daughter got a speeding ticket in Indiana:mad: . (I am a Mi resident). I also know my speeding ticket :eek: (Indiana also)(1st in many many years) also was noted by the insurance company.

So, how do you want to send me the money? It was $1k, right?

You need to get another insurance company, unless you enjoy being gouged by a gestapo like moburkes that is;)

And that company will do the same thing. But, taking advice from trieroffact is always a good idea.:D
So your contention is that all insurance companies operate exactly the same way? I hate to be the one to end your "DREAM" that they do but in reality it is a free market system and the companies have various policy on just about everything including how much effort to even put into out of state conviction research. Another example one company might not even insure you with 2 or more violations on your record while another might not even factor that in as much if you have no claims and a good credit history. Personally, I shop around and would never take a policy out for long with an anal-retentive agent who is out to gouge her clients by doing the underwriters job in a ultra-conservative manner. Sorry about my inability to deal with your wounded psyches, for that you will need professional help!

moburkes

Agents and underwriters are two different people. Agents SELL policies. Underwriters look at the underwriting guidelines, and decide if the poilcy is acceptable as written. The example that you gave was a good one. That's what underwriters do. They decide, since you have 3 tickets, and the company only accepts 2, if they will keep you as a customer, since you have 3 business policies, 5 autos, 12 life insurance policies, etc with the company. As an underwriter I do not get to choose how the insurance company orders it driving records. The people with power choose the vendors, how much information they want to retrieve, etc. Generally, the insurance company finds out about it NOT because they are ordering driving record reports for every customer in all 50 states, like you seem to think. They find out about it simply because the information is on your regular, old fashioned driving record. It shows up! That's it!

Did you SEE the smily face after my post! I was JOKING!

But whether a company will write a particular company is completely separate from whether or not you will be surcharged for violations.

By the way: I don't SELL insurance at all. Period.

sgtdanmurphy

Out of morbid curiousity moburkes, if agents sell policies and you yourself do not sell policies why do you put your occupation as insurance agent in your profile?:)

Biography:
Single Mom to 2
insurance agent

moburkes

I AM an insurance agent. I have held licenses for almost 10 years. I do not SELL insurance. I used to sell insurance at one point. I do not, and have not lately. Period. I'm not trying to hide anything. I have licenses in 20 states.

I mainly try to help people by answering their insurance-related questions, so I have that so that people can see that the information is coming from a licensed person.

justalayman

Here is a excerp from the Mi SoS website.

Secretary of State

I got a traffic ticket in another state. Will it show up on my Michigan driving record?

Answer:
It is likely that it will eventually appear on your Michigan driving record. If the violation substantially corresponds to a violation of a Michigan law, then the conviction will be posted to your driving record and points will be assessed as required by the Michigan Vehicle Code. If the ticket is for an offense for which a suspension would have been given if the ticket had been received in Michigan, then a suspension will be imposed after the posting of the ticket, allowing time for due process and the sending of a notification letter. Most states are reciprocal and provide ticket information to the driver's home state. Michigan law requires that the same action be taken for tickets received out-of-state as those received in Michigan, therefore, points and suspensions may be imposed.
Mind you , this is from the official website and understand that Michigan is not a member of the interstate violators compact. The reports must come from somewhere that even the state of Michigan recognizes. They couldn;t act on info that was not legally reliable.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">