• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Michigan speeding ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

modem

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cheboygan Michigan (Ticketed in Vanderbilt Michigan by a State Trooper)

A friend recently received a speeding ticket. She was out of the turned-off vehicle and almost in the store before the Trooper even turned his lights on. I seem to remember a buddy a long time ago get away with a technicality similar to this a few years back (which could have just been him blowing smoke). Any thoughts? Its not necessarily the cost of the ticket, but the cost of the increased insurance for the next 5 years...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Cheboygan Michigan (Ticketed in Vanderbilt Michigan by a State Trooper)

A friend recently received a speeding ticket. She was out of the turned-off vehicle and almost in the store before the Trooper even turned his lights on. I seem to remember a buddy a long time ago get away with a technicality similar to this a few years back (which could have just been him blowing smoke). Any thoughts? Its not necessarily the cost of the ticket, but the cost of the increased insurance for the next 5 years...
My boss had a similar question some time back - the cop pulled up in the driveway of his house and said he was citing him for speeding. My boss asked how he could do that since he was already parked and out of the car. The cop replied "Mister, it took me that long to catch up with you!"

No, this "technicality" isn't going to get her out of the ticket.

modem

My boss had a similar question some time back - the cop pulled up in the driveway of his house and said he was citing him for speeding. My boss asked how he could do that since he was already parked and out of the car. The cop replied "Mister, it took me that long to catch up with you!"

No, this "technicality" isn't going to get her out of the ticket.

If I remember correctly the two key issues for my buddy were that the cop's lights were not on before his keys were out of the ignition. I assumed what you said but, short of paying for a lawyer, I thought I'd ask...

Zigner

If I remember correctly the two key issues for my buddy were that the cop's lights were not on before his keys were out of the ignition. I assumed what you said but, short of paying for a lawyer, I thought I'd ask...
Thanks for the chuckle to start the day. :D

ETA: Interesting, your friend was a female in your first post and a male in this one...

modem

Thanks for the chuckle to start the day. :D

ETA: Interesting, your friend was a female in your first post and a male in this one...

Yeah, my buddy from a few years ago that got out of it. A female friend is the one who got a ticket last night.

I assume your boss' ticket....that the cop had his lights on, but just took a while to catch up, unlike my two friends, who were both out of their vehicles without the keys in the ignition before the cop's lights were turned on. In fact, I seem to remember something about my buddy throwing his keys out the window in a ditch on the side of the road before the officer spoke to him (but this could be a different story from a different friend...I have some interesting friends).

Zigner

Yeah, my buddy from a few years ago that got out of it. A female friend is the one who got a ticket last night.

I assume your boss' ticket....that the cop had his lights on, but just took a while to catch up, unlike my two friends, who were both out of their vehicles without the keys in the ignition before the cop's lights were turned on. In fact, I seem to remember something about my buddy throwing his keys out the window in a ditch on the side of the road before the officer spoke to him (but this could be a different story from a different friend...I have some interesting friends).
You don't have the facts straight from your buddy's case from several years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">