• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misjudgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Amocassus

What is the name of your state? Florida

I was pulled over for speeding in an illegally marked zone. I researched the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices which stated that an advance warning sign SHALL be used.
When I explained this (and gave him a photo copy of the page) to the magistrate he stated that he couldn't make a decision based on a photocopy and would have to go to the law library in a different county to see for himself. He speciffically stated "If the Manual of Traffic Control Devices states what you say then I will dismiss the ticket. I will make the determination this week."
Three weeks later I finaly received the judgement of GUILTY.
I contacted the Federal Highway Administration who put me in touch with a team who deals specifically with the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices. I spoke with them and confirmed that the zone is indeed an illegally marked zone.
I went to the courthouse to request a retrial and was informed that the magistrate had entered his decision and I could not have a retrial. I then went to the appeals division and talked with them about my options as well as consulting several attorneys. They all informed me that any appeal I tried to make would cost me at least 3 times what the ticket cost.

Do I have any recourse here?

Also, how would I go about setting up a class action suit for all of the victims who received illegal tickets written in the afore mentioned zone?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">