• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missed court date & want more info

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

PoorStudent

I received the speeding ticket (65 in a 45) in May of 1999 in Bellflower, CA.

I never showed up for court and I want to clean up my record so that I can get my DL in NC where I am attending school. I am aware that I need to bring a lot of cash to the Bellflower courthouse to settle this. My question is does anyone have any idea how MUCH cash I should bring and do I call ahead to make an appointment? Is it still a traffic court issue?

Also on a side note, I have recieved a few parking tickets during my stay in SoCal. The car I was driving is registered in my family memeber's name. I heard a rumor that if the title of the vehicle changes hands, the parking tickets are no longer valid. Is this true?

Any advice on saving money or just getting this nightmare overwith would be very helpful.

P

PoorStudent

I am still in CA. I cannot start school until I get a valid NC drivers license.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Good.

1. How big is your suitcase? Fill with 100's.

2. You have a warrant for your arrest due to "Failure to Appear."

3. Plan on staying another 90 days, as a "guest" of Bellflower.

4. You won't be getting a valid license in any State because your warrant will show up on the computer.

No matter where you go, if you're stopped by the police (in any State) your warrant will show up and you'll be arrested.

You need to turn yourself in. There's nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide.

IAAL

P.S. I heard you say "Oh, s h i t" all the way over here!

Last edited:
P

PoorStudent

I am dispondant about the advice you gave.

I have $4000 in cash for this issue.

Are you saying I actually have to do TIME for a speeding ticket?? All the advice I've recieved on this tells me you can always just pay your way out of it.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoorStudent said:
I am dispondant about the advice you gave.

I have $4000 in cash for this issue.

Are you saying I actually have to do TIME for a speeding ticket?? All the advice I've recieved on this tells me you can always just pay your way out of it.

My response:

Are you "thick as a brick?"

This is California, not some hick town in Tennessee! There's no one to "pay your way out of it." You'll be fined (big time) and jailed. There's no doubt about it.

The "time" you'll be doing in jail is NOT for the speeding ticket. It's for your failure to appear in court, as scheduled. California does not like "runners."

IAAL

P

PoorStudent

:rolleyes:

Man. What is your bar number? Did you know practicing law without a license is a crime!!!

Not only have I consulted the clerk, I called two DUI lawyers and told them what you said. Their reply: "Who is this moron you are talking to?"

For the people out there who want REAL advice for this issue from a paid professional, I am completely in the clear as long as I make an appointment to see the judge and pay the full fine amount. I also need to make sure and get all the papers so that the bench warrant can be cleared.

The DMV will lift the HOLD placed on my license in 10 days or I can ask the clerk to clear it then for a small fee.

As for you Mr. I AM ALWAYS LIABLE. I wish you would stick to what you are good at, if that is anything.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Okay, have it your way. But, I KNOW from your last post that you couldn't have possibly spoken to ANY attorneys about this matter (independent of me) - - unless you conveniently didn't tell them everything. Of course a court clerk is going to tell you what you want to hear. They're trained to tell you what you want to hear. They want you to "feel good" about appearing in court - - not running away! Do you think the clerk would tell you a "horror story" so that you wouldn't turn yourself in?

Either you're not telling me everything there is to know, or you didn't tell your "sources" about your "Failure to Appear." The information you receive here is only as accurate as you relate it on these forums.

The point is, however, a "clerk" cannot clear your ticket due to your FTA. That's going to require an appearance in front of the judge. After you're done explaining your reasons for the FTA, and when your explanation is rejected by the judge (not a "clerk"), that's when you're going to be sentenced.

Apparently, you never informed your sources of the FTA, because if you had, they would have informed you that an FTA (in your fact circumstances) is a misdemeanor. You cannot simply "buy" your way out of a misdemeanor - - because if you could, no one would bother showing up to court on their tickets. Makes sense. Judges do not enjoy people who, in effect, are telling them to "screw yourself" by failing to appear - - because that's, in essence, what you're saying to the court.

So, go ahead and get upset. But, the "proof of the pudding" about who among us is correct will be settled when you meet with the judge in open court.

Judges do not issue Bench Warrants on FTA's for their health. But, you'll learn. Real quick.

You would do well for yourself by reading California Vehicle Code section 40508(a) - - and then start sweating bullets.

So, whom do you think you're kidding? Yourself, or me?

Good luck.

IAAL

Last edited:
P

PoorStudent

He's my reply.

I called the courthouse and paid $613.00 on my AMEX card.

The warrant has been cleared, the DMV is getting the all clear papers, and I didn't even have to go to court.

Easy as pie.

HomeGuru

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
Gee, I wonder where "Boy Wonder", er, "PoorStudent" went? Why aren't you replying?

IAAL

**A: I think he is still reading the CVC and looking up the correct spelling of the word dispondant.
Maybe he should have used defendant instead. Well, I guess that's why he's a PoorStudent.

signed,
Willy & The Poor Boys

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoorStudent said:
He's my reply.

I called the courthouse and paid $613.00 on my AMEX card.

The warrant has been cleared, the DMV is getting the all clear papers, and I didn't even have to go to court.

Easy as pie.

My response:

There is no way in hell this could possibly be true. Okay, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt but, I want the name of the Clerk you dealt with so I can call and confirm, and then, I want you to write the information from your "all clear" papers (when you get them) in a reply on this thread.

IAAL

P

PoorStudent

My final note: :D
IAAL - I have no intention of giving you ANY information about my situations EVER again. I have nothing to prove to you. My solution worked. I have combed through a few of your replies to other people only to discover that you can be one of the rudest people I have met. Your advice offers NO constructive solutions. You obviously dropped acid one too many times in law school, or you would've passed the bar by now and wouldn't be wasting your time dishing out bogus worst case scenario legal advice on a website.

Now that this nightmare is over, I have learned a few lessons.
1) Go to court when you promise to.
2) There is no such thing as free advice. You get what you pay for.
3) With traffic violations, if you don't have a record, they won't throw the book at you, just a pamphlet that tells you who to make the check out to.

PoorStudent (that's <b>NOT</b> going to JAIL)

HomeGuru

Without valid proof and evidence, I do not believe this matter has been resolved. So as far as the writer is concerned, the nightmare still remains.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

PoorStudent said:
My final note: :D
IAAL - I have no intention of giving you ANY information about my situations EVER again. I have nothing to prove to you. My solution worked. I have combed through a few of your replies to other people only to discover that you can be one of the rudest people I have met. Your advice offers NO constructive solutions. You obviously dropped acid one too many times in law school, or you would've passed the bar by now and wouldn't be wasting your time dishing out bogus worst case scenario legal advice on a website.

Now that this nightmare is over, I have learned a few lessons.
1) Go to court when you promise to.
2) There is no such thing as free advice. You get what you pay for.
3) With traffic violations, if you don't have a record, they won't throw the book at you, just a pamphlet that tells you who to make the check out to.

PoorStudent (that's <b>NOT</b> going to JAIL)

My response:

This kid just can't stand being wrong.

You just got finished telling us that you "didn't have to go to court", but then you say they give you "just a pamphlet that tells you who to make the check out to."

If you didn't go to court, how did you get this "pamphlet."

All I really want in the name of the clerk. So, if you're not lying through your teeth, just so you can say these things about me, and to make you feel good about being "right," then what's the harm in divulging the Clerk's name so that I can call the court to confirm your scenario?

Got something to hide?

IAAL

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Well, where are you? You can certainly tell me the name of the Clerk, can't you? That won't hurt you.

Or, are you the lying sack of s h i t that I think you are?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">