• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri & WI - points, reciprocity?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Steamboat2009

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

Please excuse my general ignorance regarding points. This is my second speeding ticket --my first was in 2001 in WI when I lived there- it was $75.

Ticket Scenario:
Currently I am a resident of Missouri & have a MO driver's license. I was in WI last week for business & pleasure and was pulled over in my rental car with MO plates. I was cited for going 20 mph over the speed limit -- 75 in a 55. The deputy gave me a $229 ticket and let me on my way, but he also explained that he really should have been "booking" me since 20 mph over the posted speed limit is considered a reckless driving offense. My ticket indicates an Adopting State Statute of 346.57 (4) (h).

I asked the officer about points. He explained that WI and MO do not have "reciprocity" ---- I am not sure exactly what this is--something about MO not being a neighboring state of WI---, but after asking him more about it, it sounded as though he was saying this: even though my speeding ticket indicates and estimated 6 points, because I have a MO drivers license, MO may not show 6 points on my MO record.

My questions:
Is this really a "reckless driving" offense?
-I looked up the statute and all 346.57(h)(4) seems to indicate is speeding in a posted 55 mph zone. The reckless driving part comes up in association with points.

SOoooo.....if it is true that MO & WI do not have point reciprocity then will the "reckless driving" offense be communicated to MO, and therefore affect my insurance rates?​
I have had no tickets in MO.
Minor point-- truth be told, I don't even own a car; I travel for my job 1-2 weeks every month (flying, renting cars) and when I am not travelling, I walk to work.

Is it worth hiring a lawyer?
My court date is Nov 2; I am scheduled to be in Fargo, ND for my job that week. The company has already purchased plane tix. I really don't want to go the lawyer route unless it would be certain to remove the reckless driving offense or decrease points, and if there is no communication between MO & WI, then I don't know if hiring the lawyer would be worth his/her & my time.

Would the 6 points then show up on my IL license if I were to move to IL within a year or two, since IL is a neighboring state of WI where the ticket was initially issued?
I currently do not have an IL license, but I am wondering if I would run into any issues if I were to move to IL in the near future (which may be the case) and applied for an IL license.

Sorry so lengthy, I just wanted to provide the information.

Thanks to anyone who reads and wants to respond.

I_Got_Banned

Here's a start...

According to this: http://www.aamva.org/aamva/DocumentDisplay.aspx?id={A0B6D32F-1B87-4430-9639-DAFC6A67AA54} Wisconsin is not a member in the NRVC. And a link to the main page: AAMVA : Driver License Compacts: Jurisdictional Agreements

That might suggest that if you're convicted, the violation will not be reported to MO (or any other state for that matter).

The NRVC has nothing to do with neighboring states... States that are members of the Compact will share information regardless of their proxinity to other states (as you may deduce by reviewing the list in the first link above).

As for whether an attorney can get the points removed, that depends on what the prosecutor on the case is willing to accept. Nobody here can give you a definitive answer about that. At least, I can't.

Not sure if this answers all of your questions but you can come back with more if you still have any.

Steamboat2009

Thank you I Got Banned,
This information is helpful--although I am still not completely confident that 6 points won't show up on my MO.

I think I just will go ahead, take my chances and and pay the fine.

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">