• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistake on speeding ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bullers7813

I live in Iowa and just received a speeding ticket. The officer said he had me going 41 mph in a 25 zone. He wrote me a ticket for going 35 mph in a 25 zone. While he was in his car writing the ticket, I observed a sign about 30 feet ahead of where I was pulled over stating that the speed limit was 30 mph. I did not say anything, thinking that maybe the speed limit was 25 before that point or that he would just write me a ticket for going 40 in a 30 zone. Anyway, afterwards I drove the road over again to see what the speed limit is. The entire stretch of road lists the speed limit as 30 mph. There were 3 signs stating this speed limit on the stretch and one of them was right where he said I was going 41. Is this something I should contest or just pay? I don't know if it will matter since I was speeding regardless?

JETX

bullers7813 said:
I live in Iowa and just received a speeding ticket. The officer said he had me going 41 mph in a 25 zone. He wrote me a ticket for going 35 mph in a 25 zone. While he was in his car writing the ticket, I observed a sign about 30 feet ahead of where I was pulled over stating that the speed limit was 30 mph.
Here is your problem as I see it.....
If you are correct in that the speed limit should have been 30 mph (and not 25) and you were going 41 mph (as clocked), that is 11 mph OVER the correct limit. If you don't contest the 35 in 25 ticket, that is only 10 mph over the limit.
Most states have a penalty increase for anything over 10 mph above the limit, so your arguing the case might just bump you into the higher penalty.

Personally, since you have NO defense, I would accept the 10 over... rather than argue and possibly get hit with the original 41 mph 'correction'.

bullers7813

Good point. I was just thinking that since he wrote the ticket for 35 in a 25, maybe it could get bumped down to 35 in a 30. Can they really rewrite it for a higher speed than the original ticket?

JETX

bullers7813 said:
Can they really rewrite it for a higher speed than the original ticket?
Yep. They can 'do' anything that the court will allow..... and depending on the court, that could be anything from nothing.... to a lot. :d

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">