• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mistakes on tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mom2cass

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California. What are my chances of getting a ticket thrown out, or at least reduced fines, on the basis that the officer made three mistakes writing up the ticket, therefore he could have been mistaken about other things too? One mistake was, under the date to appear, he wrote the date that we actually got the ticket. He also spelled our last name wrong, adding a letter that isn't even in our name(other than, say, duplicating a letter). And under sex, he put M, which I am not. My point being, his mind wasn't on the task at hand, so he couldn't been wrong about other things too. (Oh, he also referred to my daughter as"the boy", which she looks nothing like.)

Curt581

mom2cass said:
What are my chances of getting a ticket thrown out, or at least reduced fines, on the basis that the officer made three mistakes writing up the ticket, therefore he could have been mistaken about other things too?
None of the mistakes you cite are enough to have the ticket dismissed outright.

Others have tried to use the logic that if the officer made one mistake, maybe he made lots of other mistakes, like stopping you at all.

The "Neener Neener Defense" is not gonna work.

If you must contest the ticket, dispute the facts of the case.

Pugilist

One thing that will get it dismissed outright is if the officer does not show up for the trial. And in California's urban courts, there is a very good chance he will not show up.

In case he does show up, you may want to develop a defense to the ticket. There are excellent books about that, written just for California. Go to library and ask for books on how to fight your ticket.

Pug

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">