• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MN: 80 in a 55, unsafe conditions checked, worth a lawyer's time?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doubledeala

What is the name of your state? Minnesota.

First off, I was taught to go with the flow of traffic, as does everyone else right? Well i was in the far left lane going 80, with plenty of cars to my right goin the same speed. The cop was sitting on the left shoulder(median) of the highway. I saw the cop about a quartermile down the road and i immediately hit my brakes down to 55. As soon as i hit my brakes, i saw him rush into the car...and lights went off, pulls me over, but no others. I'm guessing it's because I was more convenient. So I got a ticket for doing 80 in a 55, and "unsafe conditions" box was checked off, making the ticket 198 instead of 130.

I haven't had a ticket for a little over a year which was for unneccessary acceleration. Unneccessary acceleration? I just have a spirited driving style. I dont "unneccessarily accelerate" past the speed limit though.

Also, the car I was driving was an acura integra. I just bought it about 3 months ago. I was told that the gauge cluster(tach and speedometer stuff) was japanese domestic and that the gauge is off by X mph. With that said, I'm not sure how fast i'm really going. But say...on a local suburban street, i'm going 30 on a 30, and i will have cars honking, passing, flipping me off, road rage all over because I'm doing the speed limit, so I inferred that my speedo is off.

Would this be worth any lawyer's time? Or could i get this dismissed/reduced myself?

lwpat

Another ticket on your MVR means that your chances of a major increase in insurance premiums is extremely likely. I don't know what the unsafe conditions were but that will make it much more difficult to get the ticket reduced on your own.

Show up on your court date and see what happens. If you are not satisfied witht he deal then request a trial and a continuance to consult with an attorney.

fedcop110

unsafe conditions was probably the 80mph speed. In VA 80mph is reckless driving regardless of the speed of the road. If you have proof that your speedometer was off X amount of miles per hour then you may have a chance of getting your ticket downgraded, but I doubt it (and by proof, I mean proof from a certified mechanic that has fixed and recalibrated your speedometer)

If you are serious about attempting to get this citation reduced/dismissed, I would consult an attorney. With your previous unnecessary acceleration ticket it looks like speed/reckless may be a pattern.

Oh and by the way, that "spirited driving style" doesn't really cut it. But it was worth a try right? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">