• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion to dismiss

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MikeRSales

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

ORS 811.350, which states a "dangerous left turn" is when you turn left in front of an on comming VEHICLE heading in the opposite direction. ORS 811.050 refers to failing to yield to a BICYCLE in a bike lane. Is a bicycle a vehicle in Oregon? If my wife made a left turn into our driveway and struck a bicyclist in the bike lane heading in the opposite direction and was cited under ORS 811.350, is the citation defective and would a motion to dismiss on the basis of a defect in the indictment work?

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

seniorjudge

Q: Is a bicycle a vehicle in Oregon? If my wife made a left turn into our driveway and struck a bicyclist in the bike lane heading in the opposite direction and was cited under ORS 811.350, is the citation defective and would a motion to dismiss on the basis of a defect in the indictment work?

A: I do not know. But if it were me, I'd certainly try it. Of course, an amended charge could then be filed.

FlyingRon

A bicycle is a vehicle. Vehicle by the ORS:

801.590 “Vehicle.” “Vehicle” means any device in, upon or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a public highway and includes vehicles that are propelled or powered by any means. “Vehicle” does not include a manufactured structure. [1983 c.338 §109; 2003 c.655 §94]

Bicycle by the statutes:

801.150 “Bicycle.” “Bicycle” means a vehicle that:
(1) Is designed to be operated on the ground on wheels;
(2) Has a seat or saddle for use of the rider;
(3) Is designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground;
(4) Is propelled exclusively by human power; and
(5) Has every wheel more than 14 inches in diameter or two tandem wheels either of which is more than 14 inches in diameter. [1983 c.338 §22]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">