• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Motion for dismissal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kayaker50

I am in New York and got a traffic ticket. I submitted a not guilty plea in less than 48 hours of the ticket, requesting a supporting deposition, through certified mail and return receipt requested. I got a new court date so I know they got my submission. It has been more than 30 days and I have not received a supporting deposition.

What information do I need to put in the motion for dismissal to get rid of the ticket? I would like to mail it to the court to try and get it dismissed prior to my new court date (which is in 2 weeks).What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What do you mean a "new" court date?

According to the CPL a motion to dismiss for lack of a supporting dep must be made to the court in writing at least 5 days prior to trial.

And yes, you have to show up - it's a trial.

kayaker50

They put a court date on the ticket, I plead not guilty and they mailed me a new date.
1. What do I need to put in the motion for dismissal?
2. If they are not going to dismiss the case prior to the trial, what do I need to do at the trial?

A motion to dismiss will be heard in open court. File a motion to dismiss & a supporting memorandum of law that lists the legal reasons why it should be dismissed.

You may be able to ask for a court date before you current date but in most cases its heard right before your trial.

File the motion & memo with the clerk & copy the opposing party & include a certificate of service with all copies.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That's probably overly complicated.

You need to make your request for dismissal in writing to the court at least 5 days prior to trial. Many judges don't even know this and will accept your motion in person on the day of the trial but I wouldn't chance it.

I don't have the section of the CPL off the top of my head. If I remember I will check it tomorrow for you and let you know.

You don't need to serve anyone else - just submit the written request to the clerk of the court. Either deliver it in person or mail it return receipt. And keep a copy of everything for yourself.

If you don't hear from me in a day or two re-post here to remind me.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">