• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved from Lane Unsafely

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tmw017

What is the name of your state? NY

Well, I received my first ever traffic infraction today, in my 33 years of driving :(. Noted on the ticket is "moved from lane unsafely" section 1128A.

Here's the scenario: 2 lane road each way. Cars were in the right lane with turn signals on, turning right, including the officer. I usually turn right here, to head home, but today I was going to the bank, so I was in the left lane, going straight (and I honestly believed I was in the correct lane). The left turn was into an access road to a business parking lot.
There was a car in the right lane going straight, and I was going straight. I blew my horn, as I thought the other vehicle was in the wrong....but the officer informed me I was in the wrong. She did say she wasn't going to issue me a ticket, but considering the location, and traffice decided to.

Officer said there was markings in the road and a sign about left lane for left turn only. I honestly told her I did not see them. I am going to check this out as she may be thinking of the intersection that is about 50 yards behind this intersection.

I'm planning on pleading not guilty, and asking for a supporting deposition, in hopes of it doesn't arrive in the timely manner (30 days). If I appear in court, I'm hoping the judge will either dismiss it or reduce the infraction and points, considering I've never had a ticket before. What do you think of my chances of being thrown out or reduced? Should I request the supporting deposition?

I also have the option to contact the county DA - see below: Should I pursue this?

Contacting the County District Attorney

You may contact the County District Attorney to discuss the circumstances of your ticket. The District Attorney may choose to offer you a plea to a lesser infraction. If an offer is made, you can choose to accept it and plead guilty; or reject it, plead not guilty, and be scheduled for a pre-trial or non-jury trial. Any offer made by the District Attorney is only a recommended offer. The Court does not have to accept the recommendation of the District Attorney.

You may speak with the Assistant County District Attorney at your scheduled pre-trial conference time to discuss a plea to a lesser infraction.

Thanks for any advice

efflandt

Your post is confusing. You said there were 2 lanes in each direction, some cars in right lane turning right and you in left lane. One car in right lane went straight and you in left lane went straight. If there were 2 lanes, what was the problem? Or did you merge right, as you crossed the intersection?

Have you been back to that intersection to see if there was a left turn arrow in the lane you had been in? I do know some places that are confusing because one intersection can be right lane right turn only, and next intersection can be left lane left turn only, and you do not know which it will be until you get there.

tmw017

moved from lane unsafely

Apparently, the left lane was for left turns only, and I believe it might have ended there, and then went back into 2 lanes past the intersection, which has a traffic light. I am revisiting the intersection today to verify. Sorry for the confusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">