• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving County Seat after violation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nikech1

What is the name of your state? California

I was wondering if it is possible to move the county seat or court to one that is closer to me. It has been a month after my violation.

Originally posted by nikech1
I was wondering if it is possible to move the county seat or court to one that is closer to me. It has been a month after my violation.
What you want to ask is if it is possible to change the venue. Generally, you would have to request this before the law enforcement officer (LEO) actually writes the citation. Even if you did the LEO is unlikely to agree.

Originally posted by nikech1: It has been a month after my violation.
Superior Court of California - Overview of process
Within a few days of getting the traffic ticket, you should receive a Courtesy Notice indicating your fine amount or, if a mandatory appearance is required, your court appearance date and time. You should receive the appearance notice at least 10 days prior to the appearance date. Remember, should you fail to receive a Courtesy Notice, appear on or before the appearance date given on your citation.

The Courtesy Notice will indicate whether the violation(s) require a mandatory court appearance. The rest of the process is different depending on whether a mandatory court appearance is required.

KTL

Last edited:

seniorjudge

nikech1 said:

Only a court can change the venue.

But you have to have a danged good reason.

Since you didn't give a good reason in your post, I would say you will not be able to get a change of venue.

nikech1

seniorjudge said:
Only a court can change the venue.

But you have to have a danged good reason.

Since you didn't give a good reason in your post, I would say you will not be able to get a change of venue.
would living 400 miles away be a sufficient reason?

No!

Think about it. If a court agreed to change the venue where would the law enforcement officer (LEO) have to travel for your court hearing?

But you may still travel back to that jurisdiction to have your day in court. I'd make it a business trip, or a mini 2-3day vacation. After all it's sunny California . . .

KTL

CdwJava

nikech1 said:
The court could be changed only to another court within the county of jurisdiction. Contact the court holding the citation and see what the policy and procedure is to change the court that will hear the violation ... and if it is even possible. Some counties - like mine - only have one court that hears traffic violations at all. And even in larger counties, there may be only a small number of courts that hear these matters.

- Carl

lwpat

The court could be changed only to another court within the county of jurisdiction.
The rule is that you can request the officer to change it to the county seat if you live or work closer to that court. Normally the request has to be made at the time of the stop but some judges will approve a motion made at a later date. As Carl noted, you cannot switch counties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">