• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving radar detection?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

emt05nj

What is the name of your state?NJ

I am 17. I was travelling down a straight road. My speedometer readout was 45 as a police SUV passed me in the opposite direction. The speed limit on the road is 40. The officer did a u-turn and came up behind me with lights. I asked what the problem was and she said that she had me at 54mph in the 40mph zone. I don't speed and haven't gotten any type of citation yet. I am worried more about points because of insurance than I am about fines. Will 2 points have an effect on insurance? What can I do? Can a radar detector accurately gauge the speed of a car passing in the opposite direction? Thanks.

CdwJava

emt05nj said:
What can I do? Can a radar detector accurately gauge the speed of a car passing in the opposite direction?
If it's designed to do that, AND it's set for the proper mode, then the answer is, yes. Not all vehicle mounted radars are equipped thus, but many are.

- Carl

Froyn

The unit must also be calibrated according to the manufacturer's specifications and in some states the officer using the device must be certified (trained) to use such a device.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">