• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving trial to county seat (New York)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hinher

I recently got a speeding ticket in a very small town in New York. I'm a little worried about receiving a fair trial. I know some states have laws where you can request to have your trial moved to the county seat. Does NY have this law? If so, how can I exercise my right?

FlyingRon

No such luck in NY. That's pretty much a delusion of the People's Republic of California. You appear in the court you're summonsed to.

tranquility

While the Great Republic (CA) has such a law, it needs to be requested at the time of the citation. You'd be surprised at how often the police will forget to make the change before the suspect signs.

asiny

I recently got a speeding ticket in a very small town in New York. I'm a little worried about receiving a fair trial. I know some states have laws where you can request to have your trial moved to the county seat. Does NY have this law? If so, how can I exercise my right?
I'm more interested in why you would think this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">