• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

ladida

What is the name of your state? arkansas

i live in illinois, and i got a speeding ticket in arkansas (79 in a 55)
for $175

will this affect my driving record in IL ?

if i go to court, and the officer doesn't show up, is my case dismissed ? if so, what are the chances that he doesn't show up.
if not, what can i say as my own representative to get a more lenient ruling?

S

s13sr20det

if i go to court, and the officer doesn't show up, is my case dismissed ? if so, what are the chances that he doesn't show up.
I was doing 95 in a 45 once and i fought the ticket, and the cop didn't show up so it was dismissed. I say go for it i'd say only 3 out of 10 cops ever show up so u got a chance. when u go to court just plead not guilty and then you'll have to come back for the trial.

K

Kaz the Minotau

I have showed up for every single one of my speeding ticket trials. Most police officers do show up. So what is your defense?

JETX

"will this affect my driving record in IL ?"
*** Probably. Most states now comply with the "Non-Resident Violator Compact". This agreement allows an out-of-state court to inform your home state of the outstanding traffic ticket.

The Non-Resident Violator Compact requires member states to suspend the drivers license of those who get traffic tickets for moving violations in other states and fail to pay them. The compact is not suppose to include non-moving violations such as expired inspection stickers, equipment violations such as window tinting or parking violations.
A member state may choose to voluntarily suspend a license of a person who does not pay an out-of-state ticket for an equipment violation such as loud exhaust.
Member states include: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wyoming.

From the Rockdale, Illinois PD:
"An Illinois driver ticketed in another state that is a member of the Non-resident Violator Compact has two options: 1) stay in the ticketing state and argue the case or pay the fine or 2) sign a promise to comply with the traffic ticket. This promise allows the driver to continue the journey and handle the ticket by mail from home. This courtesy is also extended to non-residents from compact member states who are ticketed in Illinois. Failure to comply with the signed promise to appear will result in suspension by the home state motor vehicle department."

For more:
http://www.traffic-ticket.com/vcompacts.htm

"if i go to court, and the officer doesn't show up, is my case dismissed ?"
*** Probably. However, since this is a very common ploy, most departments have now made it mandatory for the officer to appear, or the courts have set up schedules for the officer to have a specific court date where all his tickets are set.

"if so, what are the chances that he doesn't show up."
*** No one can answer this with any accuracy.

"if not, what can i say as my own representative to get a more lenient ruling?"
*** You might try, "Your Honor, I just found this $100 bill outside your courtroom. Is it yours?". Then be sure to 'wink-wink' as you discretely place it on the bench.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">