• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

moving violation LA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tom_g_zeller

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Maryland, but the moving violation occured in Los Angeles, CA.
When I rented a car in LA two weeks ago, I was pulled over by police for making a left turn from a lane where cars are supposed to go straight. My wife and I were totally lost. Now, LA Superior Court sent me a letter asking for a bail of $202. Is this excessive by LA standards? I believe it would be in MD. Also, is there a chance that I could reduce the fine through a "trial by declaration" which is something the letter mentions? Obviosly, I can't go to CA for a trial.
Thanks, Thomas

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Maryland, but the moving violation occured in Los Angeles, CA.
When I rented a car in LA two weeks ago, I was pulled over by police for making a left turn from a lane where cars are supposed to go straight. My wife and I were totally lost. Now, LA Superior Court sent me a letter asking for a bail of $202. Is this excessive by LA standards? I believe it would be in MD. Also, is there a chance that I could reduce the fine through a "trial by declaration" which is something the letter mentions? Obviosly, I can't go to CA for a trial.
Thanks, Thomas
That is not an excessive fee.
What defense do you feel you have that would allow you to take this matter to trial (even TBD?)

tom_g_zeller

Thanks! My defense would be that it was dark, we were confused and from out of town. If I pay the bail, will I get points? Will the court inform my insurance company?
Thomas

I_Got_Banned

My defense would be that it was dark
You're supposed to drive with your headlights on when it is dark. And considering the fact that ALL California traffic signs (just like those in MD) are painted with a reflective paint, your excuse that it was dark will not work.

we were confused
Only one person should have been driving! But even then, confusion, just like "ignorance of the law, is not a viable excuse".

and from out of town.
You gotta play by our rules when you come to visit... Sorry, but thank you for visiting California. Hope you enjoyed your stay.

If I pay the bail, will I get points? Will the court inform my insurance company?
Thomas
You will be assessed a single violation point on your California driving record.
Your MD driving record will reflect the number of violation points assessed for that same violation pursuant to the MD Vehicle code.
Lastly, the court will not report anything to your insurance. Instead the court will report to the CA DMV, the CA DMV will notify the MD DMV, and if and when your insurance company checks your driving record, they will find out about your violation and the number of violation points assessed on there.

Or you can take a traffic school course and have the citation dismissed, thereby avoiding any possible affect on you CA record, MD record and any possible future insurance premium increases.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Or you can take a traffic school course and have the citation dismissed, thereby avoiding any possible affect on you CA record, MD record and any possible future insurance premium increases.

Good luck.
Just to clarify for the OP. Those courses are available on-line.

I_Got_Banned

Just to clarify for the OP. Those courses are available on-line.
Thank you Zigner... And to clarify that even further, you'd have to pay an additional $49 administrative fee to the court to take advantage of that option. That is separate from whatever the traffic school fee might be but you can shop around; I have seen that some schools offer the course for as little as $15.

All this, by the way, is based on the assumption that the Courtesy Notice you received from the court gives you the option of traffic school. Although I can't see why it wouldn't.

tom_g_zeller

Thanks to both of you. The letter mentions the possibility, if I pay a "$64 traffic school fee" and attend a 12-hr class. Can you give me an example of an on-line class that I can take? I suppose that they have to be approved by the CA authorities. Or will the court point me to them?

I_Got_Banned

Thanks to both of you. The letter mentions the possibility, if I pay a "$64 traffic school fee" and attend a 12-hr class. Can you give me an example of an on-line class that I can take? I suppose that they have to be approved by the CA authorities. Or will the court point me to them?
The class I was referring to is an 8 hour class and one can be taken online whereas the 12 hour class must be taken in a classroom setting. Also, the 12 hour class is offered to those who have attended the 8 hour class in the past 18 months.

Not sure why they are requiring you to take the 12 hour class or how they expect you to attend such a class which by California law, has to be taken at a school that is located in California or one that conforms to and is approved by the California DMV when it is obvious that you live in MD.

Best thing I can tell you is to contact the court by calling the phone number on your citation but even then, that number will most likely connect you to an automated system and typically, it wil not allow you the option to speak to a live person who can answer your question.

Can you tell me which court is listed on your citation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">