• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving Violation in Oregon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hp1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I was clocked going 79 in a 55 mph "safety corridor" on Hwy 18 outside Willamina, Oregon by an Oregon State Patrol officer. This is my first ticket of any kind in 13 years of driving, so I have a few procedural questions as well as requesting advice on how to reduce the ticket or, hopefully remove it all together.

Additional background: the place where I was pulled over was in one of two passing zones between the Oregon coast and McMinnville, Oregon, and I was using it to get around what I considered a hazardous driver. The problem was that once I was in the left lane, I couldn't get back into the right lane because of heavy motorhome and towing vehicle use (this happened Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend). I honestly don't believe that I was traveling that fast, but I was trying to get past the slow vehicles to free up the left lane.

My questions are:
1. Given the above, is it likely that a judge would minimize or throw out the ticket?
1a. How do I go about requesting a deferment, and how exactly does that work?

2. How do I go about requesting information on the radar gun they used? (What other information should I request?)

3. It struck me as odd that while the officer requested my drivers license, he did not request any insurance information or vehicle registration. Isn't that required in Oregon, and if so, is this grounds for getting the ticket thrown out?

4. Most importantly, is it better to plead no contest, or not guilty, and what are the implications of each?

Thanks, and I appreciate any assistance you can offer.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">